As a central hub in the Metro Vancouver area, the City of New Westminster delivers a broad spectrum of urban services to over 80,000 residents. It is a city rich in history with a viable and thriving economy, a population representative of the diversity of the region, and is staffed by talented and dedicated employees who work together to achieve its strategic vision. The City of New Westminster has earned a proud reputation for civic leadership, service delivery, and outstanding employee relations. We are committed to reconciliation with our First Nations and urban indigenous community and diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism, constantly learning, evolving and adapting our practice to the changing needs of our community and employees, as well as always seeking to identify and remove barriers to service and employment.
We are seeking one human resources professional with a passion for recruitment and a sincere commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion to join our HR team! Reporting to the Senior Manager, Human Resources, you will be focused on full-cycle recruitment for a range of positions within all departments in collaboration with department managers, staff, and union representatives to foster a positive working environment and promote a culture of service, respect, and engagement. In this role, you will support our City with attracting and hiring the best talent across a variety of professional and technical fields, workforce planning, recruitment outreach and promotion, full cycle recruitment and employee on-boarding/off-boarding and orientation.
What you have:
- Diploma in Human Resources or a related discipline; a related degree would be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in recruitment at all organizational levels, as well as within a unionized environment.
- A CPHR designation and municipal or public sector experience are assets.
- Sound knowledge of the standard HR policies and practices, collective agreements, and related employment legislation in order to provide clients with valued advice.
- Passion for equity, diversity, inclusion and willingness to learn from other experiences.
- Initiative, drive and tenacity to source candidates through direct sourcing channels.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Superior communication and presentation skills in order to liaise with job applicants and candidates.
- Exceptional relationship management skills in order to build and maintain valued partnerships with hiring managers, employees, unions, and City Council, and interact well with different personalities and working styles.
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritization abilities to effectively manage a demanding and dynamic recruitment portfolio.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to maintain and exercise a high degree of discretion and confidentiality.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and HR information systems.
What we offer:
- Work-life balance – 37.5 hour work week, vacation, secondary leave, an optional compressed day off program, and optional hybrid work schedule
- Health and wellness – extended health, dental, life insurance benefits, paid sick leave plan, plus other wellness-focused programs and benefits
- Retirement benefits – including municipal pension plan
- Career development – ongoing learning, leadership development, and education development program.
NOTE: An eligibility list may be established to fill future full-time, part-time, temporary, and/or auxiliary HR Recruiter positions within the next six months.
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community; women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples. It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land.
We are learning and building relationships with the people whose lands we are on.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.