Title: Internal Auditor
Location: Home Office - 1645 Inkster Blvd, Winnipeg
Benefits of working at Arctic Co-ops include
- a competitive salary,
- annual vacation (accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation time in first year),
- employer-matched pension plan,
- comprehensive group benefits plan including General flexible Spending Accounts
- career development opportunities,
- annual performance plans,
- hybrid work setup
- and an environment where employees are encouraged, supported and recognized.
As the Internal Auditor, you will be reporting to the Manager, Risk & Assurance as the lead of the internal audit program. The internal audit function supports the risk management program through ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, policies and procedures, and the adherence to accounting standards. As a trusted advisor, the Internal Auditor will maintain a focus on customer service and risk mitigation for Member Co-operatives, Arctic Co-operative
Development Fund, Arctic Co-operatives Limited and its subsidiaries. As the Internal Auditor, you will have the key responsibility of assessing the effectiveness and efficiency of internal controls and evaluating and reporting on the adequacy of these systems. The internal audit function provides assurance to management and the Board of Directors that assets and operations are being effectively managed and controlled. Internal audit also provides forensic audit support to fraud investigations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducting special reviews, projects, investigations, and audits as assigned by management and preparing and presenting related reports and recommendations.
- Assess the effectiveness and efficiency of internal controls of Arctic Co-operatives Limited and its subsidiaries, Arctic Co-operative Development Fund, and Member Co-operatives, to identify internal control weaknesses and provide recommendations to mitigate risks.
- Recommend guidelines for policies and procedures that are in line with financial and business practices.
- Assist in the performance of forensic audits to support fraud investigations, legal claims, and insurance claims.
- Review and evaluate transactions posted by Member Co-operatives and Arctic Co- operatives to verify compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Develop audit plan and determine frequency of audits by evaluating and assessing risk for each Member Co-operative.
- Conduct audit engagements in a timely and professional manner
- Establish process of monitoring progress against action plans taken to mitigate risks and address recommendations received from internal and external audits.
- Develop and maintain extensive knowledge of the Co-op business model and the environment and market in which they operate.
- Remain informed through continuing education of new trends and developments in areas of accounting, auditing, and information technology.
- Respond to special requests and projects, at the direction of the CEO, the CFO, Manager,
Risk & Assurance, Audit Committee, or the Board of Directors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2+ years of Internal/External Audit and/or Forensic Audit experience
- Experience in a retail and/or hospitality environment or in performing audit functions in a retail environment is considered an asset
- Post Secondary degree/diploma in business, accounting, or a related field is required
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) or equivalent preferred
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
Qualifications And Skills:
- Ability and willingness to travel as required (including to Canada’s Arctic) Estimated travel: Four (4) x One (1) week trips
- Ability to interpret and implement policy and procedure with a strong focus on risk management
- Strong computer skills (MS Office, Word & Excel, PowerPoint, Accounting software, etc.)
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to independently manage multiple priorities and conflicting deadlines
- Strong analytical skills with sound judgement and the ability to review and assess a wide range of complex technical information and documentation to reach logical conclusions
- Highly motivated to contribute in developing internal audit function tied to organizational goals
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Secondary School (preferred)
- Internal/External/Forensic Audit: 2 years (preferred)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (preferred)
- Certified Internal Auditor (preferred)
Work Location: In person