Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, the Maintenance Worker is responsible for completing the day-to-day maintenance in guest rooms and throughout the hotel in order to ensure the highest standards of hospitality are demonstrated; directs and implements programs aimed at maintaining a zero defect environment for guests; inspects, maintains, and repairs all property mechanical, electrical, and other equipment used by the guest or affecting the quality of their experience while visiting the property. Maintains the building and grounds with particular attention towards safety, security, and asset protection. This includes lawn and garden maintenance and snow/ice removal. The Maintenance Person is required to maintain a flexible schedule and be available to work shift work, and split shifts as well as, evenings, weekends, and holidays
Provide leadership in service and innovation while providing a working environment that fosters career growth and development for our team members.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follows all established and future maintenance Standard Operating Procedures.
- Performs engineering department repairs in guests’ room necessary to operate and maintain the hotel in a safe and comfortable condition.
- Completes urgent or emergency work orders to ensure highest guest satisfaction.
- Provides repairs in each guest room consisting of the following:
- troubleshoots electronic locks, repairs doors and hardware o replaces or repairs bathroom fixtures, flooring, and caulking
- repairs HVAC (valve replacement, control switches, filter changes, cleaning, etc.)
- minor repairs to furniture, minor repairs for wall damage and wall coverings
- TV and On Command System repairs
- repairs to windows, screens, tracking, caulking and security hardware
- Mounts any hardware, pictures, replaces light bulbs, minor carpet repairs
- mirror replacements, replaces faulty smoke detectors and changes batteries
- replaces ceiling tile as needed, replaces broken room amenities (iron, hair dryer, etc.)
- repairs balcony doors, locking hardware, windows, railings, and patio lights
- Conducts routine testing on all equipment within the guest rooms (including smoke detectors, televisions, television remotes, air conditioning, telephones, cable lines, phone jacks, etc.).
- Provides value added service to customers to meet or exceed customer expectations:
- Communicating effectively with customers, co-workers, and supervisors o Provides quality service to guests by responding to their requests promptly, efficiently, and courteously.
- Maximizes guest service by exhibiting strong knowledge of the hotel's facilities and services.
- Provides exceptional maintenance services to all public areas and within each hotel department:
- Identifies maintenance requirements and keeps systems in top operating condition.
- Regularly inspects fire hydrants, fire hose valves, dry system, air and water pressure, all control valves, water storage tank level and condition.
- Regularly checks fire pump and emergency generator during sprinkler and emergency power tests.
- Maintains highest standards for the maintenance and safe operation of issued tools and equipment.
- Inputs and maintains data within maintenance requests to maintain accuracy of completion.
- Shovels sidewalks, cuts grass and maintains flower beds as necessary.
- Monitors and maintains operation of mechanical equipment and building systems (HVAC).
- Responds to customer questions regarding hotel, in-house facilities, and local events.
- Provides courteous, prompt, and accurate inter-hotel communications to staff and customers:
- Ensures customer needs are met and followed up on in a timely fashion. o Communicates with authorized personnel by using paging system and radio.
- Follows established hotel security and safety policies as required.
- Key member of crisis and emergency team.
- Ensures organization and cleanliness of the maintenance shop, guest rooms and public areas worked in
- Keeps immediate supervisor promptly and fully informed of all problems or unusual matters of significance.
- Completes preventive maintenance program as assigned by Chief Engineer and keeps accurate records.
- Ensures housekeeping and front office are aware of rooms blocked out of order and reason.
- Ensures customer concerns are addressed in a timely and professional manner
- Adheres to all Nova Hotel Standards
- Other projects/duties as assigned
JOB SPECIFICATIONS AND SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Education: High School diploma. Previous training in hospitality is considered an asset.
Experience: 1-2 years’ experience in the hospitality industry is an asset. 5+ years within maintenance is required.
Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, maintains confidentiality; Actively listens to others without interrupting or distractions; Maintains a positive attitude even in negative situations; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things. Versatile, able to work under pressure or stressful situations.
Teamwork: Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to work in a diverse work environment.
Quality Management: Demonstrates accuracy, consistency, and thoroughness.
Cost Consciousness: Conserves organizational resources.
Ethics: Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds values.
Organizational Support: Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values.
Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Safety and Security: Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Attendance/Punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Commits to required hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Flexible to work a variety of shifts.
Initiative: Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Innovation: Generates suggestions for improving work.
Language and Communication Skills: Ability to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to present information in one-on-one and small group situations. Ability to respond to common inquires or complaints from suppliers. Strong computer and telephone abilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Typically sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping; frequently lifting 5-50 lbs.; occasionally lifting 50-100lbs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment is a varied setting between an office environment, boiler rooms, mechanical rooms, guest rooms and general hotel areas, which have the following conditions: low-high noise environment; high traffic area for internally and external guests, exposure to office equipment such as photocopier, fax and telephone, potential exposure to theft and/or belligerent guests, exposure to natural elements such as rain, heat and snow, exposure to chemicals, heights.