- An exciting shot for a hardworking Heavy-Duty Mechanic to grab valuable professional experience in Nunavut!
- Receive an attractive hourly wage ranging from $38.33-$42.32 based on skills and experience, Northern Living Allowance of $25,453 and top-tier benefits!
- Enjoy FULL benefits!
The Arctic Bay area has been occupied for nearly 5000 years by Inuit nomads migrating from the West. Today, Arctic Bay is a lively community with a population of about 1050, located in the northern part of the Borden Peninsula on Baffin Island in the Qikiqtaaluk Region of Nunavut, Canada.
The Inuktitut name for Arctic Bay is Ikpiarjuk which means "the pocket" in English. This name describes the high hills that surround the almost landlocked bay. To the southeast, the flat-topped King George V Mountain dominates the landscape of the hamlet. The community is served by annual supply sealift, and by the Arctic Bay Airport.
Arctic Bay is host to multiple recreational events and institutions. There are several sports teams and activities that meet regularly at the gym. Basketball, soccer, volleyball and hockey are the most popular activities. There is also a hockey rink open to the public during the winter months. The local Community Hall, known as the C Hall, is host to a variety of recreational activities such as ping pong and pool. The C Hall also hosts community dances. Outdoor activities remain quite common, including ice fishing and hunting activities to supplement food and clothing needs.
The municipality of Hamlet of Arctic Bay has an exciting opportunity for a Heavy Duty Mechanic to join our team in the Hamlet of Arctic Bay, Nunavut on a full-time basis.
Reporting to the Public Works Foreman, you will be responsible for overseeing bulldozer, loader and automotive maintenance, repairs, and equipment forecasting, all while ensuring the needs for upskilling and supervising two apprentices are met.
Your key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Repairing and maintaining in good working order all community vehicles and heavy equipment
- Conducting preventive maintenance and warranty work while also keeping records of repairs
- Forecasting short and long-term equipment repairs by reviewing records, manuals, requisitions, and other statistical information
- Providing maintenance assistance to Airport Maintainer as directed by the Foreman
- Preparing requisitions for necessary parts and equipment
- Addressing emergencies and ensuring continuous service through temporary measures and swift vehicle solutions
- Supervising and coordinating garage employees with respect and effective leadership
- Maintaining the required inventory of garage tools, parts, and equipment and replenishing stock as required
- Keeping work areas clean and orderly, ensuring that all tools and equipment are properly stored, secured, and used
- Maintaining appropriate safety standards
- Resolving personnel problems and reporting personnel problems which cannot be resolved to the Hamlet Foreman or the SAO
- Coordinating the activities of and supervising garage employees
Note: This position is currently unionized.
In order to qualify, you will have 5 years of related experience in heavy equipment maintenance, and you will be working towards, able to obtain, or currently holding a Heavy Equipment Mechanic Journeyman Certificate.
In addition to recent hands-on experience in automotive practices, this role demands strong leadership, teamwork, and management abilities to lead the mechanics' team. You should also handle pressure well, especially when tackling the backlog of passenger vehicles.
As our successful candidate, you will also join us with:
- Experience working on bulldozers, loaders, and automotives
- Demonstrated ability to forecast and plan necessary maintenance and repairs effectively
- A proactive and collaborative mindset and adept and handling conflicts
- Proficient writing skills for accurate repair recording and requisition preparation
- Competence in conducting thorough staff performance reviews
- Practiced in workplace safety and safety standards
- Familiarity with inventory control systems for efficient management
- Knowledge of Ford trucks and/or Caterpillar machinery (asset)
About the Benefits
In appreciation of your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with an attractive hourly wage ranging from $38.33-$42.32 based on skills and experience (there will be new rates in 2024), plus benefits including:
- Northern Living Allowance of $25,453 annually
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- Pension plan with employer contribution
- Company vehicle
Upon joining the Hamlet of Arctic Bay, you will be welcomed into a culture that is supportive and inclusive. You will also enjoy being part of a committed team of industry experts who genuinely want to see you succeed.
If you're looking for a new challenge with a forward-thinking employer where you can advance your skills, apply now!