Enter the Game!
Activate is a tech company known for creating Canada’s first full-scale interactive gaming facility. We are experiencing significant expansion, and are looking to expand our IT team with the addition of a Senior Software Developer. The Senior Software Developer will work with a small team of software and computer engineers and programmers who design and maintain the core software (both front-end and back-end) behind an interactivate human-scale gaming facility. This position has core responsibilities to develop game software as well as manage the company website and other interactive applications. This will involve working directly with game programmers, graphic designers, and other colleagues, but will also provide many opportunities for individual freedom and creativity where appropriate.
The Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide mentoring and technical guidance to developers on your team
- Work with the Software Developer Leader to provide feedback and areas of improvement for the team
- In collaboration with other team members, help define and iteratively improve on software development standards and processes
- Other tasks and duties as assigned
Demonstrate proficiency developing web-based user interfaces that adhere to design systems and brand standards
- Work closely with the in-house graphic designer to ensure visual standards are met
- Bring mockups, or wireframes, from inception to production
- Accurately identify specific issues in user experience and provide recommendations and codified solutions to influence the design
Develop software (games, services and APIs) using a variety of development tools, including C++, PHP, MySQL, PowerShell and Node.js
- Create maintainable and extensible web applications with clean, portable, self-documenting code
- Develop effective and efficient solutions based on technical requirements produced through team collaboration
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or Certificate/Diploma in Software Development
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- Willingness to work irregular hours if/when needed, including evenings and weekends
- Proficiency in an assortment of technologies, including MS SQL Server, Apache HTTP Server, JSON, Docker / Kubernetes, Windows and/or Linux
- Experience designing and maintaining network architecture
- Experience using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, NUC or other microcontroller platforms
- Game design experience, video game or otherwise
- Experience developing Android and/or iOS apps
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (SES, S3, Aurora etc.)
- Benefits package
- Paid time off
- Casual dress
- Employee discount
- On-site parking
Taking entertainment into the future by fusing technology and physical activity together to create live-action gaming experiences, Activate is a technology company building interactive gaming facilities with locations across Canada and the US. For more information about Activate, please visit www.activate.ca or check us out on Instagram - @activategames/Facebook @activategames.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.