Established in 1986, LRI Engineering Inc. is Canada’s largest wholly-Canadian owned engineering firm specializing in fire protection engineering, building and fire code consulting, fire safety and emergency planning services. You are welcome to explore more at www.lrifire.com.
Whether a project involves a small-scale interior renovation, retrofit of existing fire projection systems, the development of complex commercial, transit, or healthcare facilities, or matters involving compliance issues with Authorities Having Jurisdiction, our clients trust our expertise and professionalism. Sounds like fun? Come join our amazing team in downtown Toronto as a Fire Alarm Design expert.
As part of the Systems Engineering team, the Fire Alarm Designer provides consulting services for private and public sector projects and will work alongside engineering experts through interactions with clients, contractors, and other stakeholders.
Undertaking retrofit and design projects including site reviews and assessing the fire alarm systems in a building, you will apply all Canadian provincial and national Building and Fire Codes, CAN/ULC, NFPA standards, and best practice guidelines related to design and installation of Fire Alarm Systems.
- Design fire alarm systems. Prepare technical specifications and tender documents for new construction and retrofit projects for residential, commercial, and industrial buildings and facilities.
- Project manage system installations in close coordination with contractors and other cross-functional teams. Attend construction and pre-construction site meetings.
- Review and approve shop drawings, close out documents, attend witness testing of the completed installation to confirm compliance with the tender document, Codes, and Standards.
- Conduct site visits, audit, and assess performance of existing fire alarm systems, selecting proper and cost-effective solutions for replacement. Prepare reports and cost estimates.
- Provide interpretations of the relevant clauses of the Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code, and ULC/NFPA standards to internal and external client.
- Represent LRI on various technical committees, both provincial and national as may be required.
- Take leadership in resolving compliance matters and attending meetings with stakeholders and with Authorities Having Jurisdiction.
- Ensure that projects are delivered to the clients’ expectation in terms of timelines, budget, and quality.
- University/College degree or diploma related to electrical, fire alarm, or fire protection.
- Pursuing P.Eng., C.E.T., CFAA, or similar qualification is an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of Building and Fire Codes, ULC524, 536, 537, and NFPA standards.
- Knowledge of addressable and distributed fire alarm system design, and requirements for data communication links.
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in a role designing new fire alarm systems and retrofitting existing fire alarm systems in large complexes (i.e., multiple towers, interconnected and/or multi-use buildings).
- Experience with site project management, payment certification, preparation of site review notes, contract change notice/orders, site instructions, and CCDC contract documents.
- Excellent communication, report writing, presentation, stakeholder management, analytical, planning, and organizational skills.
LRI welcomes and encourages applications from people of all abilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. LRI is committed to principles of employment equity.
Only candidates who are selected will be contacted.