Accounts Payable Clerk
At Gambles, produce is everything. Our business provides the widest assortment of top-quality fruits and vegetables for the wholesale, foodservice, and retail sectors. With a history dating back to the early 1900s, Gambles has grown and evolved into one of the largest produce wholesalers in all of Ontario. Our goal is to be the supplier of choice for all our customers’ needs.
Our people are the backbone of our business! We have a “hire-from-within” mentality at Gambles, which means we put extra focus on developing our people and giving them unique career advancement opportunities. Just like our products and our customer-base, we love to see our people grow!
We offer a competitive benefits package with employer-covered health and dental benefits (you don’t pay the premiums!) and a company matched Pension Plan for our full-time employees.
The Accounts Payable Clerk will report directly to the Financial Reporting and Accounting Manager.
This position is responsible for maintaining of accounts payable processes and responsibilities in the Finance office and assisting in the day-to-day functions of the department. This individual will work primarily out of the Dwight Warehouse location but may require the ability to work out of the Food Terminal location on occasion.
Although the primary schedule for this individual is 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, our ideal candidate can work a flexible schedule in order to accommodate the needs of the business which may include occasional evenings and weekends. This is a 12-month contract position.
- Ensure compliance to Company policies and procedures, as well as regulatory compliance
- Review and verify vendor invoices and payment requests
- Match receiving documents with invoices with accuracy and completeness
- Reconcile accounts payable transactions
- Research and resolve invoice discrepancies and issues
- Correspond with vendors and respond to inquiries
- Coordinate with the Accounting Manager and department to problem solve and correct invoice issues as they arise
- Communicate with internal and external customers/vendors via phone and email
- Sorting, matching, and scanning incoming documents
- Maintain files and records so they remain updated and easily accessible
- Data Entry of invoices in ERP system, for further payment processing
- Assist with Finance audit responsibilities to include validation of entry into ERP system and issuance of vendor payments
- Modify, simplify, and improve processes and reporting to increase efficiency as requested
- Perform other duties as required and requested
- Minimum of high school education, some university or college would be considered an asset
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel – Note: an excel test may be performed as part of the interview process
- 1 – 2 years’ experience in an Accounting or Finance team is required
- Previous experience with using an ERP is desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills for interacting with external & internal vendors and customers
- Ability to manage priorities and meet deadlines
- Exceptional English verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to type fast and free from error
- Detail-oriented, well organized
- Ability to readily adapt in a changing environment
- Professional and able to handle confidential material
- Ability to work in a team environment as well individually
- Self -motivated
Interested parties should apply with resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Please note that Gambles Group is an equal opportunity employer located in a heritage building with our main office at 165 The Queensway, Suite 240. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
Job Type: Contract
Contract length: 12 months
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Etobicoke, ON M8V 2W7: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person