Please apply using this link: https://recruiting.unityhealth.to/ltmprod/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=95
Respiratory Therapists are health care professionals who monitor, evaluate and treat individuals with respiratory and cardio-respiratory disorders. Respiratory Therapists have a critical care focus that allows them to be involved in the management of acutely ill patients throughout the hospital. RTs are often the initial health care provider to assess high risk patients throughout the hospital before MD intervention.
Respiratory Therapists are dedicated team members of the following areas: Cardiac Care Unit, Medical Surgical ICU, Cardiovascular ICU, Trauma/Neuro ICU, OR, Wards, Labour and Birth Unit and Neonatal Level 2 Nursery. Respiratory Therapists are also key members of the Cardiac Arrest Team, Neonatal Arrest Team, Fire Team, Critical Care Response Team and Trauma Team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILLITIES:
- Care and management of mechanically ventilated patients
- Assessment and modification of mechanical ventilation in accordance with Ventilation/Weaning guidelines
- Airway management
- Intubation and extubation
- Administration of aerosolized medication or Meter Dose Inhaler (MDI)
- Administration of specialty gases (Heliox, Nitric Oxide)
- Assessment and intervention for patients deemed high risk for respiratory failure
- Tracheostomy management (downsizing, corking, decannulation)
- Assisting with percutaneous tracheostomies
- Arterial punctures and blood withdrawal from arterial lines
- Arterial line insertions
- Assisting with bronchoscopies
- Intra and inter-hospital transport of high risk patients
- Neonatal management including neonatal resuscitation at high risk deliveries (establishing airway, breathing and circulation), mechanical ventilation, Nasal CPAP, oxygen therapy and assistance of airway management.
- Able to work effectively as a member of an interprofessional team, collaborating with other disciplines to provide comprehensive patient care
- Contributes to the academic mandate of the organization as an educator, resource or support for staff, students and members of the academic and professional community
- Identifies and addresses educational needs for patients and their families
- Demonstrates commitment to ongoing professional development in order to continue to provide optimal patient care
- Is committed to, and participates in, ongoing quality improvement in the organization
- Provides patient care in accordance with all professional and organizational standards
- Graduate of an accredited program for Respiratory Therapy (or equivalent).
- Must be currently licensed by and in good standing with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario (CRTO) for practice in all applicable clinical areas.
- Current BCLS and NRP certification.
- Excellent communication, critical thinking and interpersonal skills
- Proven flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time management, organizational and prioritization skills as relates to patient care
- Demonstrated commitment to and involvement with own profession (e.g. membership with professional association, etc.) preferred
In this position, you will be required to work days, evenings, nights, weekends and/or statutory holiday shifts, on a rotational basis based on the operational needs of the department
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Unity Health Toronto’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $37.57-$47.41 per hour
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Respiratory Therapist License (preferred)
- BLS Certification (preferred)
- NRP Certification (preferred)
Work Location: In person