In your role as the Commodity Tax Coordinator with The North West Company (NWC), you will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day management of Indirect tax affairs, managing tax audits and ensuring proper monthly tax compliance.
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Provide guidance and assistance to the Finance Department regarding various Canadian Government and other Provincial/Municipal commodity taxes applicable to The North West Company;
- Provide training to appropriate business parties based on commodity tax changes;
- Monitor and update Point-of-Sale (POS) tax rates and environmental levies based on prescribed Government legislation and guidelines;
- Conduct monthly audit of transactional data to ensure compliance with prescribed Government or other Provincial/Municipal body legislation and/or guidelines on a timely basis;
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts for G/HST, QST and environmental levy accounts, and file regulatory documents based on regulatory reporting deadlines;
- Claim Administration for Nutrition North Canada (NNC) and Province of Manitoba Affirm subsidy programs;
- Compile various Provincial stewardship obligations and submitting information to Provincial regulatory associations;
- Maintain position process documentation and schedule of tasks for reconciliations and reporting (regulatory and internal);
- Generate other key risk areas exception reporting.
- 3-5 years of experience in commodity tax administration, focusing on G/HST, PST, QST and various Provincial and Municipal environmental levy programs
- Diploma or degree in a recognized accounting program; enrollment in a recognized professional program would be beneficial
- Experience using Microsoft Office products with advanced knowledge of Word and Excel
- Must be detail conscious while maintaining a high degree of accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks while working within strict timelines
- Must have excellent organizational and prioritizing skills
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to interact with all levels of internal and external customers.
Gibraltar House, 77 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Senior Manager, Financial Controls & Head of Tax
We create a collaborative and constructive culture by:
- Being Enterprising • Committing to our Customer • Working with Passion • Leading and Developing Others • Demonstrating Respect and Inclusivity • Building Trust
The North West Company is committed to inclusion and diversity and encourages applications from all candidates including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, and persons with disabilities.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For Internal Applicants only:
NOTE: Prior to applying, an internal employee MUST
obtain a written endorsement email from their current Manager or Manager – once – removed and provide this to the recruitment team before
they can be considered for opportunities. This position adheres to the Corporate Job Posting Guidelines.