Malatest is one of Canada’s largest independently owned and operated social research companies, with 4 office locations in Canada.
The role of the Business Development Specialist reports to and works with the Vice-President of Business Development out of the Victoria office. The candidate will successfully find and build partnerships by understanding and explaining what will be important to new or existing clients for whom we have a product offering or solution. The Business Development Specialist will be responsible for connecting with new clients and developing business contacts for lasting partnerships. The individual will also support our business development by preparing research proposals, which will include the ability to describe research methods and corporate experience and develop budgets. In some cases, there will be opportunities to coordinate with internal teams to work on developing new products for future sales. Our ideal candidate will be dedicated to excellence in work by having great attention to detail, producing high-quality deliverables, and demonstrating good work ethic, within a fast-paced environment involving multiple project deadlines.
Our areas of research focus are diverse; however, some common areas include health, education, employment and the labour market, housing, and transportation. If you are currently seeking a dynamic career within an office work environment, have an interest in supporting research and program evaluation projects, and like to keep busy, this role is for you. This position will be located in Victoria and will be a salaried position plus benefits and an annual discretionary bonus.
We appreciate all candidates who apply; however, only those that are shortlisted will be contacted and considered for the position.
- Identifies potential clients and coordinates meetings for senior management;
- Services existing accounts and establishes new accounts by planning and organizing daily work schedule to call on existing or potential clients;
- Builds and maintains key partnerships with new or existing clients;
- Develops and supports identification of potential market areas (e.g. staying current with new business opportunities);
- Identifies new clients with the goal of enabling Malatest to showcase services available to the clients, including both email communications and “cold calling”;
- Contributes to the development of business plans, business cases, and marketing activities for new initiatives;
- Supports the development of marketing materials and leads (e.g. sales sheets, presentations);
- Keeps management informed by submitting agreed-upon activity and results reports;
- Monitors competition by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, new products, delivery schedules, and merchandising techniques;
- Evaluates company results and competitive developments to current market;
- Maintains records by area and customer sales budgets;
- Mail/Courier items for research, distribute delivered mail, answer main reception phone;
- Completing other activities as needed in support of research unit.
- Undergraduate/graduate degree in marketing, communications, business administration, English, graphic design, social sciences, or other relevant field of study. Minimum of undergraduate degree or diploma.
- 2+ years of applied sales experience in a regional or national capacity
- The ability to speak and/or write in French, or another language(s) is an asset, but not required.
- Fluency in written and verbal English
Essential skills and aptitudes:
- Written Communication, Meeting Sales Goals, Closing Skills, Prospecting Skills, Negotiation, Self-Confidence, Product/Service Knowledge, Presentation Skills, Client Relationships, Motivation for Sales, Graphic Design Skills (preferred), Technical Documentation, Problem Solving, Deadline-Oriented, Process Improvement, Coordination, Strategic Planning, Market Knowledge.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada and able to obtain security clearances from the Industrial Security Directorate Division of Public Services and Procurement Canada, which includes passing a criminal record check.
Malatest is a fast-paced, dynamic work environment. This position will support multiple projects simultaneously, under the pressure of deadlines. The work requires extensive use of a computer and advanced computer skills are required. The work will also require making phone calls and sending emails to support sales activities. This position can be based out of one of the locations in which we have an office.
The successful applicant must be able to self-monitor, constructively handle feedback, and strive for continuous improvement. Standard office hours of operation are Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm, though some flexibility is possible for the right candidate.
Employees must demonstrate a high level of integrity and attention to detail, an ability to work independently, and the ability to accept responsibility for the quality and completion of assigned work. This position must demonstrate clear and collaborative communications with multiple departments.
Hours of Work: Full-time (40 hours per week); schedules may vary based on work requirements; flexibility to work other hours and/or overtime during busy times.
Salary Range: $55,000 to $70,000 per year (based on qualifications) plus discretionary revenue- based bonus; high standards of excellence and performance may lead to further career advancement opportunities.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter that demonstrates your experience and writing ability and a resume
Note: While we thank you for your interest, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
R.A. Malatest & Associates Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant from employment because of physical or mental disability, race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or creed regarding any position for which the employee or applicant is qualified. We are committed to ensuring employment equity within our workplaces. You are welcome to identify within your application if you belong to one of the four designated equity groups: women, Indigenous, persons with disabilities and/or members of visible minorities.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00-$70,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Edmonton, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- applied sales: 2 years (required)
Work Location: In person