The Council for Advancement of African Canadians in Alberta, operating as Africa Centre, is the largest pan African organization in Western Canada, serving as a community hub that provides programs and services from a place of cultural awareness and competency to the families in our diverse community.
We are currently seeking a Manager of Communications and Fund Development to contribute to the success of the overall organization. This position reports directly to the Director of Operations and has responsibility to oversee the organization's communication efforts and develop strategies to secure funding and support for the organization.
- Overseeing the Communications Assistant in their duties.
- Designing a campaign to encourage African descent professionals in contributing to the organization's programs and services through volunteering time and services.
- Reprofile and improve the organization's social media platforms.
- Work with senior management to create & implement Africa Centre’s internal (staff, board, volunteers, clients) and external (community, donors, participants, partners) communication strategy.
- Assisting in organizing and implementing community events.
- Connecting with donors, funders, and communities to maintain a regular pulse of communication such as quarterly newsletters etc.
- Leading fund development initiatives including grant writing, donor engagement, and fundraising campaigns.
- Manage the design, creation, production & printing of Africa Centre collateral for all programs.
- Develop fresh content for Africa Centre social media and online communication platforms.
- Community newsletter (Quarterly).
- Collect, organize, and curate stories from communities and volunteers (Quarterly)
- Communicate opportunities to clients, e.g., training, workshops, etc.
- Delegate responses to social media requests and support building of templates.
- Post-secondary education required in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, or a related field.
- Minimum of five years of relevant professional experience, including experience in fund development.
- Strong, creative writer with strong knowledge of CP Style.
- High level of proficiency with the English language (both written and spoken).
- Able to clearly articulate messages in written and verbal communications.
- Proficient skills with Adobe Creative suite of tools (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro).
- Proven skills and experience with website maintenance including CMS, HTML, and UX.
- Proven PC skills and experience with Microsoft Office suite of tools.
- Knowledge and experience engaging stakeholders through social media.
- Photography/videography skills and experience.
- Demonstrates excellent communication, organizational and creative thinking skills.
- Experience in the non-profit sector.
- Able to work independently in a small, hands-on work environment. Experience and comfort in public speaking and presentations.