Procon Mining and Tunnelling (Procon) is one of the leading mine development contractors in North America. We are specialized in underground mine development, contract mining, underground excavations, civil tunneling and mining related construction projects. Centered by our people, our company culture is driven on the tenets of integrity, innovation, relationships and performance for our clients, business partners and the communities we work in. As a specialty contractor in a safety-sensitive business, our workforce safety is the foundation for everything we do.
Procon takes pride in our extensive history of successfully partnering with Indigenous communities. We believe in Indigenous partnerships that offer mutually beneficial outcomes through economic benefits and capacity building. Moving beyond compliance, we truly value the experience and knowledge brought to our Indigenous partnerships.
We are looking for a motivated people who are committed to growing their professional career at Procon while gaining valuable knowledge and experience.
Based at our project in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, this will be a 2 week on / 2 week off rotation opportunity. Preference will be given to those who reside in Northern Territories.
The successful Surface Operator will be is responsible and accountable for the following:
- Following all policies and processes at the mine site and underground
- Always performing the role safely and ensures Health & Safety is the number one priority
- Safely operate the controls of heavy equipment, tractor-trailers, and tandem-axle straight trucks to minimize the risk of damage and injury.
- Use several types of heavy equipment including graders, wheel loaders, backhoes, skid steers, and telehandlers.
- Use heavy equipment according to operating practices to excavate and move sand, gravel, rock, and snow.
- Safely drive and maneuver heavy equipment around the mine
- May select, fit and remove attachments
- Monitor gauges, dials and other indicators to make sure the heavy equipment is working properly; report discrepancies to Supervisor
- Adjust controls to regulate pressure, control speed and flow of operation
- Perform a walk-around inspection before, during, and after every shift (includes set-up and inspection of equipment to ensure safe operation)
- Clean, maintain and secure equipment and secure loads.
- Complete logbooks and daily reports on delays, production and safety issues.
- Use two-way radio, visual, audio and light signals to communicate with other operators and ensure safety
- Previous experience in mining
- Technical training and a valid certificate for specific equipment
- Must have previous experience operating heavy equipment (grader, loader, skid steer, telehandler, backhoe)
- Ability to meet physical requirements including: a variety of standing, sitting and walking throughout the day; repeated twisting at the torso while lifting and pulling inventory from shelves; regular lifting and occasional lifting up to 50 pounds, occasional climbing of ladders; usage of pallet jacks.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be prepared to adhere to all legislated regulations and company Health & Safety policies
- Must have a valid Class 1 driver’s license and good driving record
- Dependable and able to commit to a 2 week on / 2 week off rotation
- Positive attitude and enjoys being a proactive member of a high performing team
- Residents of the Northwest Territories area and candidates identifying as Indigenous are encouraged to apply.
- Drug Test
- Criminal Record Check
This position involves frequent air travel to and from the work site. Applicants must meet all legislated requirements for air travel to work at the remote site camp with a work schedule of 14 days on site, 14 days off site. For this safety sensitive position, you will be required to undergo a background check, substance test and medical.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion is valued at Procon and increasing Indigenous and minority groups representation within our company’s workforce composition is a priority. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all qualified applicants.
We mine talent and nurture innovation. Our people truly are our strength. At Procon, whether in the field or the office, you’ll be part of a cohesive team and work alongside great people from diverse backgrounds: people who love their work and are inspired to provide solutions to our clients and exceed expectations.
If you share our values and would like to be considered for this meaningful career opportunity, please apply on our career site.