The CRA is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment with a diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. It starts with the hiring process. To find out more about the CRA’s actions in support of Employment Equity (EE), diversity and inclusion, and read testimonials from our employees and executives, please visit the following CRA web sites: Employment equity, diversity and inclusion and Our workforce testimonials - Canada.ca.
We encourage you to complete the EE Staffing questionnaire as part of your application if you wish to be considered for appointments using the EE staffing requirement in this process. Also, ensure that you have provided consent in the EE staffing questionnaire for your EE information to be used for screening or selection. If you do not complete the questionnaire, you will not be considered for any appointments using the EE staffing requirement in this process. If you decide to modify your response or fill out this questionnaire at a later date, please notify the contact listed at the bottom of this notice of job opportunity.
CRA’s National EE Staffing Strategy strives to eliminate gaps for the four EE designated groups: Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and women. Where an EE gap exists at the time of appointment, EE may be used as an appointment criterion for permanent and temporary appointments over six months made through this process.
The CRA strives to offer employees a variety of flexible work arrangements to help them achieve work-life balance.
As a Financial Analyst, you will:
- Provide advice, analysis and financial services in the areas of reporting, planning, budgeting and costing to ensure the efficient and effective use of departmental resources.
- Assess and review financial information and transactions to ensure integrity, accuracy, and recommend changes and improvements to procedures and processes.
- Develop, implement, interpret and apply financial policies, procedures and controls to ensure compliance with legislation and central agency direction.
- Research, assess, develop, implement and maintain financial management systems solutions. Provide support and advice to clients related to financial systems.
Language requirements of position(s) to be staffed:
Bilingual imperative BBB/BBB, Bilingual imperative CBC/CBC
The pool established from this staffing process may be used to staff similar positions.
To view the complete work description click here: FI2003. If you cannot access the link, you may contact the email listed at the bottom of the notice to obtain a copy of the work description.
Come work for the CRA, one of the Top 100 Employers in Canada!
Are you looking for a change? Are you up for new challenges? Would you like to expand your skills set? If yes, take advantage of this opportunity. It will give you the experience and exposure you need to build your career path and personal brand.
Who can apply
Employees of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Federal public service employees in organizations found under Schedules I, IV and V of the Financial Administration Act occupying an indeterminate position at the FI-02 level or equivalent or higher. (List of eligible federal organizations).
Here is an exhaustive list of group and level equivalent to an FI-02 level or higher as of June 2023:
CRA: AU-02, SP-08, ES-04, MG-SPS-04, MG-AFS-04, HR-RH-05, CS-03, CO-02
Other federal departments: AS-06, PM-06, EC-05, AP-02, CS-03, CO-02, AU-03
AND eligible veterans and Canadian Armed Forces members
AND individuals with preferred status who live or work within the general rule of minimum distance of the position(s) being staffed.
For positions in the National Capital Region (NCR), the source of candidates is employees physically working in the NCR.
Please note that this stream will be used to staff positions in the NCR only.
For positions where employees may work remotely, the source of candidates is employees across Canada.
Further information will be provided for the position being staffed
Applicants from the general public will not be considered and will not be contacted.
Qualified members and former members of the Canadian Armed Forces who receive an offer of employment are not entitled to relocation costs from the CRA. They may, however, be entitled to a final relocation from the Department of National Defence.
Virtual reporting may be possible, if operational requirements permit.
Essential staffing requirements
To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements.
- the CRA’s minimum education standard for FI.
You must upload your education credentials in the education section of your candidate profile and submit all required documents by the closing date and time of this poster. Failure to do so can result in your application not being considered further.
Have experience in at least one of the following criteria:
- Experience* in providing advice, analysis and assistance to management**, clients or stakeholders*** on financial management.
- Experience* in preparing, analyzing and monitoring information in one of the following areas: financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, business cases or costing.
- Experience* in preparing and analyzing financial statements or financial reports and explaining the variances to management**.
- Experience* in corporate accounting services (for example, accounts payable or accounts receivable) OR monitoring or reconciling financial transactions from various sources.
- Experience* in working with clients to gather and document business requirements for system enhancements OR testing business case scenarios prior to release in production.
- Experience* in leading or supporting controls-based assessments or financial audit, with involvement in planning, execution and reporting phases of the engagement.
- Experience is normally associated with the performance of these functions as part of the major job duties within the last five years.
** Management is defined as FI-03 level or equivalent or higher.
*** Stakeholders include other areas within the organization, other federal departments or agencies, or external associations such as third party service providers.
You are encouraged to provide any relevant information pertaining to every experience criteria stipulated above that you have acquired and not solely limited to one criteria.
Candidates must upload the following documents to their candidate profile:
- A resume including groups and levels for each job
- Name, title and phone number or email address of 2 references (current and previous supervisor for at least 6 months within the last 5 years)
- A letter of offer that proves your group and level (only for candidates who are not working at CRA)
Applications will be assessed every 2 months during the posting period. As this is a perpetual inventory, you may reapply at a later date if you do not meet the essential staffing requirements. Please send an email to the address at the bottom of the notice to withdraw your application and reapply.
If you have a limitation that may impact your performance during an assessment, such as a test or interview, you may require an accommodation, and we encourage you to ask for it. Assessment accommodations are designed to remove the obstacles without altering the criteria being assessed so candidates with limitations can fully demonstrate their abilities. If we invite you to be assessed, we will send you more information on how to request accommodation measures throughout this staffing process.
Each request will be individually reviewed. You will be asked to provide information regarding your limitations to be reviewed by a trained assessment accommodation advisor. If needed, professional documentation may be requested to determine the appropriate accommodation measures. All information will be kept confidential.
For examples of assessment accommodations, please visit: Accommodation during an assessment as a candidate.
Minimum and essential
The minimum and essential staffing requirements indicated below will be assessed during the process and may be used to identify candidates for positions.
- Performance validation
- Second Language Evaluation. Note: If qualified in the pool, you must maintain valid BBB/BBB or CBC/CBC second language evaluation results to remain qualified in the pool, or your application will be withdrawn.
- Reference Check – Dependability
Asset staffing requirements
Asset staffing requirements may also be assessed during the staffing process and may be used to identify candidates for positions. You will be notified in advance of any asset requirements to be evaluated.
A formal or an informal interview may be administered at the appointment stage.
- Additional education
- Eligibility for a designation from a recognized professional accounting association (i.e. CPA, CGA, CMA or CA)
- Eligibility for a designation from a recognized internal auditor certification (i.e. CIA or CICA)
- Budgetary considerations
- Duration of appointment
- Start date
- Minimize business disruption
- Employment Equity
Conditions of employment
- Reliability/Security: Reliability Status or Secret.
- Willingness to work overtime
- Willingness to travel
We encourage you to read Important information on staffing at the CRA to find out more about staffing processes and how to apply.
CRA employees support the economic and social well-being of Canadians, and build public trust. We have high expectations, and our employees are held to the standards of conduct outlined in our Code of integrity and professional conduct and Directive on conflict of interest, gifts and hospitality, and post-employment.
Information regarding the status of your application will be communicated via the candidate profile on the CRA Careers site. We strongly encourage you to verify the email address attached to your profile and to check your messages regularly for any updates.