The Health and Safety Manager is responsible for developing, managing and promoting the company’s health and safety programs to establish and reinforce a culture of health and safety. This position works closely with employees, supervisors and managers to promote all initiatives associated with improving compliance in occupational health, safety, fleet, and Certificate of Recognition (COR) programs.
· Develop and execute health and safety plans, policies and procedures in the workplace according to legal guidelines and business/industry requirements and review and update as necessary with legislative and operational changes.
· Manage and lead programs to maintain COR compliance.
· Manage and lead aggregate division in legislated Common Core Surface Miner program.
· Manage the employees within the health & safety department (this includes hiring, performance management, coaching, mentoring).
· Regularly visit various company locations and job sites which includes road construction job sites, aggregates pits/quarry, asphalt manufacturing plants.
· Coordinate and ensure compliance related to Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings and structure.
· Create safety-related content for the spring and winter orientation programs and present to large groups.
· Organize safety meetings, safety talks and monitor compliance.
· Develop and deliver in-house employee health & safety training as required
· Record and update training records and proactively schedule required training.
· Participate in regular senior management meetings:
o Report on health and safety awareness, issues and statistics, and provide recommendations for improvement to management.
o Participate in decision-making alongside other senior management members.
· Create and/or modify safe work practices, safe job procedures and job hazard assessments.
· Conduct site visits with the Ministry of Labour when required, investigate incidents, accidents, injuries, near misses, substandard actions/conditions, etc. to discover causes and provide solutions.
· Coordinate with various vendors (i.e., purchasing health & safety products).
· Manage injury claims, WSIB and return to work programs.
· Record, report and analyze fleet and equipment incidents/accidents.
· Manage, track and coordinate claims in conjunction with Crupi Group’s insurer.
· At least 5 years of experience in a similar role, and previous leadership experience is required
· Must have previous experience in the construction industry
· Familiar with the OHSA
· Knowledge of WSIB reporting and return to work programs
· Experience in COR compliance
· Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite
· Strong communications skills
· Comfortable presenting to groups
· Exceptionally organized
· Ability to demonstrate assertiveness when required
· Class G driver’s license with a clean abstract and owns a reliable vehicle, as travel is required (in the GTA)
· Common Core Surface Miner
· Train the Trainer Certification
· First Aid Certified
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $95,000.00-$125,000.00 per year
- Commuter benefits
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
Flexible Language Requirement:
Work Location: In person