Position: HUMAN BUSINESS PARTNER (Internal Ref #: M19)
Profile: Saskatoon Co-op is here to serve our members with products and services that help build, feed and fuel individuals and communities. We are a different kind of business; being member-owned means that any profits are returned to our members and stay in the local economy. Saskatoon Co-op has over 1350 employees serving over 118,000 members in Saskatoon and surrounding communities through the provision of goods and services in the areas of grocery, liquor, pharmacy, petroleum and lubricants, home and building solutions, and agricultural supplies including fertilizer.
Position Summary: Saskatoon Co-op invites applications for the position of Human Resources Business Partner in our Administration Building located in Saskatoon, SK.
Reporting to the HR Manager, the HR Business Partner contributes to and supports the ongoing evolution of human resources and talent management functions at Saskatoon Co-op, through supporting team leaders in a business line portfolio on a broad variety of people practices, both day to day and longer term. The HR Business Partner acts as the first point of contact in Human Resources for the business and liaises with other functions to determine best approach for the Co-op in all people related activities.
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, responsibilities for this position include the following:
1. Provides specialized guidance, coaching and support to Saskatoon Co-op team leaders in all people related activities, including but not limited to: HR Operations and Talent Management Practices (such as supporting the identification of talent needs, onboarding, performance management and performance improvement, training and development, employee engagement and succession management, total compensation, labour/employee relations, and attendance management/support). In this role, HR Business Partners help leaders develop and execute their HR strategy that supports their performance, growth and future objectives. Supports leaders in aligning their people practices with the organization’s strategic plan.
2. Builds and maintains critical relationships with location team leaders, organizational leaders, employees and Union representatives, spending approximately 40% of time at various retail locations. This approach is intended to build partnerships with all Team Leaders in the HR Business Partner’s portfolio.
3. Leads labour relations activities on behalf of their portfolio or line of business – conducts workplace investigations, provides coaching and assistance in determining and issuing discipline, and leads grievance resolution processes. Coaches and guides Team Leaders on Collective Agreement interpretation. Represents the Co-operative at labour-management meetings and on other labour-management committees.
4. Collaborates and supports functional colleagues in HR to provide direction and best practice to team leaders. Aligns the application of the HR and talent needs from their portfolio to the best practices established within the organization. If no established practices exist, to collaborate with the HR Manager on precedent setting situations
5. Contributes to and supports HR and business related projects that positively influences growth and change to the organization. Provides HR operational support in alignment with the portfolio’s long term business needs.
6. Leads, administers, coordinates and supports HR led employee programs, for both management and non-management employees.
· Candidates will have an Undergrad Degree in Business or Social Sciences with a preference for a Human Resources Major.
· A minimum of 5 years of Human Resources Generalist experience in a complex, unionized setting.
· Candidates with their CPHR designation would be considered an asset.
You may be required to undergo a background and substance test in accordance with Saskatoon Co-op policies.
*a combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
Saskatoon Co-op offers a competitive salary, ongoing personal and professional development, and the opportunity to work with one of Saskatchewan’s most successful brands.
Please submit a detailed resume in confidence on or before September 27, 2023
Please indicate position applied for in “Subject” line.
Senior Human Resources Specialist,
The Saskatoon Co-operative Association Limited
201-503 Wellman Crescent
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7T 0J1
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: In person