Please apply using this link: https://recruiting.unityhealth.to/ltmprod/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=CH
Respiratory Therapists (RTs) at Unity Health Toronto are front line health care providers who work both independently and as a member of many health care teams to monitor, evaluate, and treat patients with respiratory and cardiopulmonary issues. Respiratory Therapists provide care to newborns, pediatric and adult patients throughout the hospital from inpatient wards to intensive care units. They play an integral role as a member of the resuscitation teams, providing advanced life support, specifically airway and mechanical ventilation management, to critically ill patients.
Respiratory Therapists collaborate with other health care team members to develop and implement appropriate care plans for patients in the intensive care units, emergency department, and inpatient wards 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Respiratory Therapists are committed to providing quality respiratory care to all patients, by persistently reviewing literature, participating in research, and translating evidence-based best practice into clinical practice.
The RT department has a long-standing affiliation with the Michener Institute and provides clinical placements for multiple students on an annual basis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Care and management of mechanically ventilated patients
- Assessment and modification of mechanical ventilation in accordance with Ventilation/Weaning guidelines
- Airway management
- Intubation and extubation
- Administration of aerosolized medication or Meter Dose Inhaler (MDI)
- Assessment and intervention for patients deemed high risk for respiratory failure
- Tracheostomy management
- Arterial punctures and blood withdrawal from arterial lines
- Arterial line insertion
- Assisting with bronchoscopies
- Intra and inter-transport of high risk patients
- Neonatal management including neonatal resuscitation at high risk deliveries (establishing airway, breathing and circulation), mechanical ventilation, Nasal CPAP, oxygen therapy and assistance of airway management.
- Able to work effectively as a member of an interprofessional team, collaborating with other disciplines to provide comprehensive patient care
- Contributes to the academic mandate of the organization as an educator, resource or support for staff, students and members of the academic and professional community
- Identifies and addresses educational needs for patients and their families
- Demonstrates commitment to ongoing professional development in order to continue to provide optimal patient care
- Is committed to, and participates in, ongoing quality improvement in the organization
- Provides patient care in accordance with all professional and organizational standards
- Graduate of an accredited program for Respiratory Therapy.
- Must be currently licensed by and in good standing with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario (CRTO) for practice in all applicable clinical areas.
- Current BCLS certification.
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification required within one year of hire.
- Excellent communication, critical thinking and interpersonal skills.
- Proven flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced environment (independently/within a team)
- Excellent time management, organizational and prioritization skills as relates to patient care.
- Ability to work without direct supervision
- Ability to work in a team focused healthcare environment
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
- Demonstrated commitment to and involvement with own profession (e.g. membership with professional association, etc.) preferred
In this position, you will be required to work days, evenings, nights, weekends and /or statutory holiday shifts, and on a rotational basis based on the operational needs of the department.
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Unity Health Toronto’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
Job Types: Casual, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 12 months
Salary: $37.57-$47.41 per hour
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Respiratory Therapist License (preferred)
- BLS Certification (preferred)
- NRP Certification (preferred)
Work Location: In person