Calgary, Alberta, Canada
TransCanada Turbines (TCT) is the sole authorized overhaul, repair and maintenance service provider for Siemens Energy and General Electric (GE) aeroderivative industrial gas turbines, serving an expanding international client base.
(TCT) TransCanada Turbines’ key strength is our people, who offer quality and flexibility that only an independent organization can provide.
We are currently seeking an experienced Abrasive Blaster/Preppers to join our growing team. This position will be located in our Airdrie depot location.
Reporting to the Team Lead, Component Repair, the Abrasive Blaster / Prepper is responsible for the preparation of industrial gas turbine components for thermal spray processes such as Atmospheric Plasma Spray, Combustion Powder Spray and High Velocity Oxygen (Gas) Fuel Spray.
The duties and requirements will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Preparation of components for thermal spray application, including cleaning, glass bead blasting, grit blasting and masking, in accordance with company procedures and utilizing various machines and techniques.
- Removal of masking and overspray from processed thermal spray components using various hand tools.
- Development of new fixturing, masking and tooling as necessary to improve/maintain efficiency and quality in the thermal spray process.
- Learn the thermal spray process and complete TCT’s internal thermal spray technician training program (approximately 2 years).
- Use of measuring equipment, including calipers, height gauges and micrometers.
- Completion of corrective and regular preventative maintenance on various equipment.
- Development of new repair capabilities within the thermal spray process, including new component repairs and new thermal spray coatings, as per Engineering instructions.
- Comprehension of component routing documents, engineering drawings and specifications, OEM repair schemes, and internal process documentation
- Working closely with other departments to ensure the efficient and timely processing of components through the Component Repair department.
- Willingness to cross-train and gather new skills in support of the company’s changing needs, and to cross-train others.
- Providing of assistance, when required, to internal and external auditors.
- Working closely with the HR and HSE departments to understand company policies and procedures, and ensure work is carried out accordingly. Leading by example and showing positive support for company policies by demonstrating an ongoing commitment to reinforce departmental acceptance. Making recommendations on policies and procedures and engaging in the continuous improvement drive to attain the best-in-class target and improve shop productivity and profit of the company in general.
- Increasing of knowledge regarding the HSE Policy and Manual and maintaining of a positive attitude towards the health and safety of self and coworkers.
- Taking ownership of HSE issues and demonstration of enthusiasm and support for HSE.
- Completion of other duties as directed by the Team Lead, Component Repair or designate.
Employee/team flexibility is of prime importance to TransCanada Turbines. It is important that all employees are willing and able to assist with any activity, at any time, as necessary to support the needs of a changing and demanding customer base in the gas turbine repair and overhaul business.
- 2+ years of related experience such as abrasive media blasting, masking, cleaning are preferred for this role.
- Previous experience working in a paint shop or familiarity with the thermal spray process would be an asset.
- Gas turbine overhaul and experience processing thermal spray coatings, including abradables (e.g. Aluminum - Silicon Polymer), carbides (e.g. Tungsten Carbide - Cobalt), metallics (e.g. Nickel - Aluminum) and oxide ceramics (e.g. Alumina - Titania) are preferred for this role
- Shift rotation work is required (day, afternoon with occasional night shifts as required)
- Successful completion of a criminal background check
- Successful completion of a post-offer medical and drug & alcohol test
- A full comprehensive benefits package, 100% employer paid
- Company paid RRSP contributions
- Disability & Life Insurance
- On-site parking
- Casual dress
- Paid time off
**Only those selected for an interview will be contacted**
Job Type: Full-time
- What are your salary expectations?
Work Location: In person