The Chief accountant is responsible for overseeing the accounting operations of the organization for 4 locations in Canada. He ensures that all financial transactions are properly recorded and reported in a timely manner, and he will play an active role in helping to develop and implement the company’s overall accounting strategy.
More specifically, this position will be responsible for activities including but not limited to the following:
- Reviewing financial statements and reporting on any errors or anomalies in accounting methodology.
- Preparing financial statements for external reporting purposes such as tax returns.
- Prepare consolidated financial statements monthly, as well as accounting analyses.
- Organize and direct the preparation of financial statements.
- Monitoring cash flow to ensure that bills are paid on time and that there is enough money available to cover upcoming expenses.
- Preparing reports on company performance including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and cash flow analyses.
- Reviewing financial records, contracts, and other documentation to determine accuracy and completeness of data.
- Conducting research to identify new accounting methods or procedures which could improve efficiency or effectiveness of operations.
- Identifying issues with accounting processes or procedures that could lead to future errors or misinterpretations of data.
- Supervise the work and train employees of accounting department.
- Participate in the preparation of consolidated budget reports.
- Ensure that accounting standards and policies are understood and followed by all of accounting staff.
- Other related duties may be assigned to meet the needs of the business.
- Bachelor in business administration (BBA), accounting option, accounting title.
- Must be bilingual.
Knowledge & Experience
- 5 + years of extensive experience working as accountants or auditors before being promoted into this role.
- Knowledge of internal control, an asset.
- Equivalent combination of work experience and education will be considered.
- Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint knowledge.
- As part of your duties, you will have to collaborate regularly with co-workers based across Canada and United States.
- Previous management experience and the ability to execute initiatives and manage projects effectively is required for this position.
- Candidate must be motivated, detail oriented, professional, driven, and aggressive. Must have the ability to earn the respect of peers and subordinates.
Critical Competencies for Role
- Must be able to work with sensitive and highly confidential information
- Exceptional communication skills. Talk and hear, read, write understand and communicate by telephone, email and in person using the French and English language
- Ability to prioritize and work under a tight schedule with input from several different sources.
- Have the ability to multitask and maintain a listing of tasks.
- Ability to quickly build relationships, work collaboratively and effectively with other internal or external clients
- Effective Decision Making - Influencing
- Business Acumen
- Adaptability & Agility
- Driving & Managing Change
- Management Maturity
- Ability to lead a team to success
- Passion for helping others and providing mentorship
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills
- Ability to read and interpret accounting policy/procedure manuals.
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Ability to work under pressure
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $90,000.00-$100,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Work from home
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- Accounting: 5 years (required)
- French (required)
- English (required)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (preferred)
Work Location: In person