When your work with us, it’s not just a job, you are joining our family.
Kasteel Construction and Coatings Inc. is a Northern-owned and operated company located in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Our purpose: To serve our team members and our Northern communities with compassion, thoughtfulness, and caring acts while working to deliver superior construction and coating projects. We are dedicated to our clients and employees through our transparent commitment to do things differently. Our directive is to provide every client, employee, and subcontractor with exceptional honesty and fairness. Kindness is contagious. Kasteel prides itself on building strong, long-term relationships which are driven by trust and repeat performance.
Due to our rapidly expanding business, we currently have an opening in Yellowknife for a full-time Carpenter.
Job summary: Kasteel is looking for individuals with strong carpentry skills for both residential and commercial projects. You are recognized for your attention to detail and the ability to get it right the first time while operating on a strict schedule, requiring minimal supervision. We need people who love thinking outside the box and wowing clients with their quality of work. The ideal candidate will be willing to travel, job sites include Yellowknife and surrounding areas as well as various mines sites.
- Maintaining, renovating, repairing, and constructing in accordance with building codes, blueprints, standards, and practices.
- Performing work related to the design, construction, and repair of building structures and fixtures.
- Reading and interpreting blueprints, drawings, and specifications.
- Determining specifications, calculating requirements, preparing layouts, measuring, cutting, assembling, and joining moulding, wood materials, and drywall.
- Building foundations, floor beams, subflooring, decks, fences, walls and installing partitions.
- Building and installing framing for dropped ceilings, counters, indirect lighting, display cases, platforms, scaffolding, ramps, and ladders, etc.
- Fitting and installing windows, doors, stairs, and hardware.
- Installing fire doors, drywall, and insulation.
- Instructing apprentices.
- Interpreting client requests and providing mock-ups for client approval prior to commencing work.
- Maintaining a safe and organized work environment.
- Ability and confidence to lead projects when required.
- Meet specified deadlines and complete all assigned work.
- Planning work processes and reading construction layouts.
- Maintaining a safe and organized work environment, follow all Kasteel Safety policies and procedures.
- Red Seal certification preferred or equivalent training and experience.
- 3+ years experience in finishing carpentry, additional 3+ years experience in rough carpentry preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of hand and power tool operation.
- Willingness to work overtime when necessary to deliver the project on time.
- Physically fit, capable of climbing on ladders and carrying at least 80 pounds.
- Effective verbal communication and listening skills.
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions.
Job Safety is #1 - Kasteel is COR certified and therefore we follow a comprehensive safety program to reduce risk and maximize performance. All employees are required to complete orientations to become accustomed with the site safety culture, specific hazards, and detailed safety plans. Commitment to safety compliance can only be 100%.
Kasteel believes in treating employees with dignity and respect, we offer a competitive wage and benefit plan while allowing you to grow with our company. If you are interested in applying, please include in your application, your resume, cover letter, and “salary expectations”.
Please note that our roles require the ability to successfully obtain security and medical clearances. Candidates must be able to meet drug and alcohol policy requirements and all background screening requirements.
We appreciate all applications, yet due to the number of applications, we are only able to follow-up with those candidates who best meet our qualifications.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Yellowknife, NT: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- This role requires the candidate to obtain security (background checks) and medical clearances. Would there be any concerns that might prevent you from receiving clearance on these checks?
- Are you legally entitled to work in Canada (citizen, permanent resident, work permit)?
- This role does require travel to job sites including Yellowknife and surrounding areas as well as various mine sites. Are you willing to travel to these areas?
- What are your salary expectations for the role?
- finishing carpentry: 3 years (required)
- rough carpentry: 3 years (preferred)
- Red Seal Carpenter Certification (required)
- Driving Licence (required)
Work Location: In person