Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Hiring #: 2023-0512
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our institution.
In our work, we advance the mission of the University of Guelph by building lifelong relationships with our community: alumni, donors, and friends. Our vision is for the University of Guelph to be personally relevant in the lives of our community members. Through these relationships, we amplify the impact of philanthropy to create unique solutions for the challenges facing our world. As a member of this campus-wide team, the Senior Development Manager epitomizes the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation, and forward focus.
Reporting to the Director, Major Gift Advancement, the Senior Development Manager is responsible for major gift fundraising (contributions of $25,000 or greater and planned gifts) to support the fundraising priorities of the College of Social and Applied Human Sciences. The Senior Development Manager is expected to personally generate a minimum of $1 million in new major gifts and pledges annually and works to advance priorities with alumni, corporations, grateful clients, and other friends of the University.
We believe that fundraising is a team sport, and collaboration with colleagues across the board is essential for success. Working in tandem with senior development managers in other colleges is highly encouraged. More specifically, responsibilities include:
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and prospects through the fundraising cycle
- Maintaining a robust pipeline of 60-80 donors/prospects and undertaking 10-15 meetings per month with donors/prospects.
- Preparing briefing materials to support the participation of senior administration in fundraising activity.
- Collaborating with the Director, the Dean and other internal partners to advance donor relationships as well to identify university priorities that will resonate with donors including scholarships, faculty/program support, capital projects.
- Creating and presenting materials to advance fundraising asks such as generic cases for support and customized proposals.
- Negotiating the closure of major and planned gifts, including the creation of gift agreements and other supporting documentation.
Requirements for this position include:
- Undergraduate degree, with preference given to demonstrated commitment to professional development, graduate degree, relevant diploma or equivalent combination of education/experience
- A minimum of five (5) years fundraising experience, with a proven track record of success in securing major and planned gifts, or equivalent experience in a related field.
- The ability to think and act quickly and effectively under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgment.
- A proven ability to interact effectively with senior executives in the corporate community
- Management of large and complex fundraising projects, especially capital campaigns
- Superior written and interpersonal communications skills, including effective relationship building and experience in managing senior volunteers. Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite and donor databases and/or CRM systems
- A passion for animal welfare and/or background in animal, medical or healthcare charities is an asset
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation an asset
This position is an opportunity to join a high-performing team of passionate fundraising professionals in Alumni Affairs and Development at one of Canada’s leading comprehensive research-intensive universities.
Position Number 394-052
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2023 09 18
Closing Date: 2023 10 02