SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reporting to the Manager of Infrastructure Renewal in the Engineering Services Division of Public Works, the Senior Project Manager of Project Management Office and Quality Management (QMS) office will contribute to a dynamic management team of professionals. The successful candidate will act as the divisional consultant in support of developing Project Management Office, Quality Management System, performance measurement, continuous improvement initiatives as well as a robust divisional wide operational planning regime with the objective of driving change that will positively affect the performance of e Engineering Services and enhance public service to the community.
Lead the development, implementation and management of a Project Management and Quality Management Office within Engineering Services to provide Project Management and Quality Management System support to all staff within Engineering Services.
Lead the development, implementation and management of a Quality Management framework and program for the Engineering Services Division.
Lead the development, implementation and management of strategic and operational planning processes within Engineering Services.
Support all staff in Engineering Services with implementation and understanding of Project Management standards, Quality Management standards and Capital programming.
Project Management Office
Leads implementation of Project Management methodology and standards for Engineering Services.
Help support Public Works initiatives for Project Management.
Process Requests for Information (RFIs), Requests for Proposal (RFPs), Purchase Order Requisitions, and all required contract documents from various project managers through to Corporate Services while ensuring all relevant policies and procedures are adhered to.
Develop and present a Sectional Annual Report for the Project Management Office each year to summarize performance and establish long term planning objectives. Incorporate feedback into the Sectional planning exercises.
Provide support to Project Managers within Engineering Services with Project Management challenges and acts as a mentor in Project Management.
Conduct process audits to document and identify opportunities for performance improvement throughout the entire portfolio of Engineering Services including operational, planning and engineering functions.
Make recommendations to the Director of Engineering and Manager of Infrastructure Renewal on services, policies and programs while striving to continuously improve processes and identify opportunities for cost-reduction.
Make recommendations to the Director of Engineering respecting key performance indicators important to the divisional with an emphasis on dashboard style reporting
Provide leadership and facilitate staff development in the utilization of problem solving and priority setting tools for the execution of breakthrough projects.
Provide leadership relative to quality management initiatives throughout the Public Works Department acting as internal consultant for the development of documents control systems, policy development and assisting Divisions as representative of the General Managers office.
Plan and facilitate meetings, conduct interviews, and run working sessions.
Use statistical analysis to identify performance trends and make recommendations for project opportunities/enhanced services based on verified data testing.
Develop strategic change management recommendations in response to identified process improvements and implementation of same.
Develop and deploy key performance indicator (KPI) metrics and ensure ongoing tracking, and implementation of corrective actions.
Analyze, re-engineer and implement streamlined business processes to optimize workflow associated with change management.
Establish justification for Continuous Improvement efforts and link to Divisional Operational Plan objectives, Departmental Business Plan objectives, and the City’s Strategic Plan.
Prepare and present reports on efficiency and effectiveness activities and plans to Council and senior levels of staff. Maintain appropriate documentation which clearly illustrates project progress and success at completion.
Participate in medium to large-sized strategic projects.
Coordinate and manage projects effectively and ensure they are delivered on time, on budget, and to agreed quality standards.
Participate in defining project scope and champion stakeholder needs; Develop comprehensive business requirements, project charters and establish key deliverables and success metrics.
Identify and mitigate project delivery, schedule, and operational risks.
Regularly communicate/interface and build strong relationships with all appropriate stakeholders and project team members.
Develop framework for the implementation of quality management style processes throughout Engineering Services.
Initiate and deliver a document control system.
Initiate and deliver a comprehensive operating procedures regime for Engineering Services.
Develop internal audit regime to ensure compliance with regulation and conformance with quality management framework.
Capital Budget and Planning
Prepare and recommend three-year and long-range strategic capital budgets for roads, bridges, parks, open space development, facilities, water, wastewater and stormwater initiatives required for the sustained, integrated operation and management of Public Works Department. Leads the development, coordination, and improvements to Capital Budget process.
Assume accountability and responsibility for the development of capital budget programs related
to capital infrastructure systems to ensure service quality, cost effective and timely service delivery and
legislative compliance. Develop and monitor major capital infrastructure program budget initiatives.
Lead the development of a framework for annual planning throughout Engineering Services.
Represent the General Manager’s office in collaborating with Senior Leadership within Public Works to ensure operational planning serves the purposes of the various operations across Public Works.
Develop reporting mechanisms to ensure operational planning is easily monitored and managed.
Mentor junior staff involved in the above initiatives to instill a culture of performance measurement, continuous improvement with open and transparent communication.
Participate in status meetings, report on status, and communicate status as appropriate. Identify, analyze, and escalate any issues, risks or changes as required.
Help to manage overall project budget, track budget to actuals, and comply with on time budget requirements.
Assist in the Preparation & Monitoring of the operating budget for the Division in accordance with established procedures.
Assist and participate in the development and preparation of the capital budgets for the Division in accordance with established corporate and divisional procedures. Recommend future budget appropriations.
Ensure compliance with Corporate/Division/Departmental rules, regulations, procedures, policies and safe working practices.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned, which are directly related to the normal job function.
1. Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a University Degree or Diploma in Engineering, Sciences, Quality Assurance, Operations Management, or related discipline. Considerable experience in performance measurement, process engineering and managing continuous improvement initiatives. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
2. Demonstrated experience and extensive knowledge of Project Management, Lean Six Sigma, Capital programming and budgeting.
3. Demonstrated experience with quality management systems preferably in a leadership role.
4. Demonstrated experience developing and implementing strategic and operational plans.
5. Practical experience in process improvement using Lean Six Sigma or similar methodology required.
6. Previous experience with process improvement in the food and/or water industry an asset.
7. Practical experience with Quality Management systems preferably in a leadership role.
8. Practical experience with documents control systems.
9. Practical experience conducting audits within a quality management system.
10. Detail oriented and exceptional planning and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments.
11. Solid project management change management skills with strong ability to design appropriate strategies to achieve desired results.
12. Excellent communication skills (both oral and written), with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, and the general public.
13. Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
14. Intermediate to Advanced skills in Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project).
15. Strong leadership, coaching, and performance management skills with the ability to lead teams.
16. A team player with excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, able to respect and deal with highly confidential and sensitive issues.
17. Solid understanding of project management approaches, tools, and phases of the project lifecycle.
18. CAPM or PMP certification is an asset.
19. Ability to prepare complex statistical reports and efficiency calculations.
20. Ability to analyze problems/opportunities for efficiencies and make recommendations for improvements.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES A VALID CLASS “G” DRIVER’S LICENCE AND PROOF THEREOF IS REQUIRED AFTER HIRE.