DIRECT LIASION: Liaison with Conference Services Manager, Conference Services Coordinator, Event Coordinator, Food and Beverage Manager and Kitchen Management.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The primary responsibility of the Restaurant Food and Beverage Supervisor is to ensure that all outlets produce a high level of service and quality product for our guests as it supports the overall vision of Digby Pines.
JOB SUMMARY: The Food and Beverage Supervisor is expected to coordinate, supervise, assist with training, and direct all Food and Beverage Outlet service personnel under the direction of the Restaurant Manager and your direct liaisons. Actively promotes and exhibits enthusiasm in the workplace and among guests. Clearly identifies guest experience priorities and manages time effectively to accommodate their needs.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- At least 2 years’ experience in the Food & Beverage Industry, and 1-year supervisory experience in a hotel or hospitality related field required.
- Nova Scotia Serve Right required.
- Degree in Hospitality and Tourism preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel an asset,
- Knowledge of food and wine, Public Health & WHMIS/OHS, liquor laws and regulations an asset.
- Knowledge of Bartending or equivalent experience helpful.
- Good communication skills with fluency in English required.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT:
- Computer Systems, POS systems, coffee and espresso machines, coffee urns and warmers, wine opener, props, carts and general kitchen equipment.
- Long hours sometimes required during busy time periods.
- Medium work – Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Possess the ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body and arms, work under variable temperatures and noise levels. Ability to stand for long periods of time without sitting or leaning.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying, and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the concerns and issues raised by associates and guests.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
DUTIES & FUNCTIONS:
- Supervise and train Front of House staff to include servers, porters, hosts and bartenders.
- Act as the contact person for the customer. Approach all encounters with guests and employees in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
- Assist with creating efficient and effective staff work schedules based on business demands including stats, tours, and special events.
- Maintain financial procedures including documentation of promos, voids, tip out, deposits and daily sales reporting.
- Work with Conference Services assisting when required with special events, tours, and group bookings.
- Learn guest names and personally recognize our regular customers. Anticipate customer needs, respond promptly, assist with any requests, and acknowledge all customers however busy.
- Monitor and handle customer complaints in accordance with Digby Pines standards.
- Hold pre-shift meeting reviewing daily operations as well as one health and safety and service standard.
- Inspect staff uniforms, grooming, coordinate staff breaks, assign stations, side work, communicate changes to assignments as they arise throughout the shift per business demands, signing in and out of shift.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximize productivity and employee morale.
- Responsible for safety, sanitation, and cleanliness of all related areas. - very important - includes office, patio, restaurant, pantry, bars, linen closet, tray drop off and room service area in kitchen.
- Oversee bar service including the requisition of alcohol/pantry items based on business demands per requisition standards, bar service standards and liquor laws are adhered to, closing of bar and cash out procedures, security of liquor inventory, may be asked to assist with counting of inventory, record spills and wastage of alcohol.
- Responsible for the inventory management of alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages and related supplies.
- Ensure all closing duties for staff are completed before they sign out.
- Uphold and ensure compliance with all Digby Pines and departmental policies and procedures to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Provide feedback on staff performance to manager including disciplinary issues and participate in the counselling of employees.
- Bring to the attention of your Manager and the Maintenance Chief all materials (meeting room supplies, catering supplies) and equipment that requires ordering or need to be replaced per requisition and maintenance procedures. Rectify any deficiencies with respective departments.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Digby Pines standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing the proper work attire and nametag when working.