At Halton Region, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. Halton Region is committed to providing accommodation to individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your accomplishments and contributions. As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment and strong long-term financial position and AAA credit rating.
As an employer of choice, Halton Region recognizes the many benefits of hybrid work arrangements including flexibility and better work-life balance for our employees. This position is eligible for our Hybrid Work Program.
Posting ID: 2322
Division: Financial Services & Payroll
Pay Range: $59,456 - $79,276
Job Type: Contract > 1 Year
Contract Duration: Up to eighteen (18) months
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Work Location: 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville
Employee Group: OCT
Posting Date: September 18, 2023
Application Deadline: October 2, 2023
Reporting to the Supervisor, Payroll Operations this role is responsible for assistance to the Payroll team with the administration of an integrated, automated (SAP) employee pay and benefits system.
- Responsible for master data changes in SAP to generate biweekly pay as follows:
- Validates information received from multiple sources that will impact the calculation and processing of employee compensation and benefits, and makes any necessary adjustments.
- Verifies for accuracy, prepares and inputs data into the payroll system for employee groups paid by salary and hourly.
- Inputs permanent changes to employee payroll records maintained in the payroll system relating to new hires, terminations, retirements and leaves and the set up and changes to the statutory deductions, pensions and other mandatory and benefit plans.
- Calculates and inputs routine manual adjustments to earnings and all legislated, mandated and optional benefits and deduction plans as required.
- Ensures compliance with collective agreements.
- Provides pension plan administration support including submitting member enrolments and other online forms with employee information to OMERS.
- Responsible for providing payroll reports and analysis of data to various internal and external stakeholders such as unions, Statistics Canada, etc.
- Provides support on usage of corporate time tracking system.
- Maintains up to date documentation on payroll process and procedures.
- Responds (electronically, in writing and verbally) to tier 1 payroll/pension questions and inquiries from staff and management in a timely manner that adheres to privacy requirements.
- Provides vacation coverage including backup support for Payroll Coordinators and Payroll Pension Analyst.
- Responsible for various activities to support the year end process and reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Diploma in Business Administration or related discipline.
- Minimum of one (1) year of related work experience in a high volume, fast paced environment, preferably with a medium to large public sector organization.
- Knowledge of payroll legislation, procedures and processes.
- Completion of or working towards Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) designation.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical and problem solving skills, including excellent attention to detail.
- Highly effective time management skills, including the ability to work successfully in a team environment and independently.
- Demonstrated customer service focus with the ability to efficiently and effectively respond to queries
- Well organized, detailed minded with a mathematical aptitude and the ability to handle a wide variety of tasks accurately and efficiently with minimal direction in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work under pressure, ensuring work is accurate and deadlines are maintained and achieved.
- Strong computer skills, specifically proficiency in MS Excel and Word.
- Experience with SAP HR and Payroll.
Important information about your application:
- In accordance with requirements in Ontario Regulation 191/11 – Integrated Accessibility Standards and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Region will accommodate the needs of individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please inform the Talent Acquisition representative of the nature of the accommodation(s) you require.
- Please submit your application online. We will accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities and others who are not able to apply online. If you experience any issues with submitting your application, please contact HR Access at 905-825-6000 extension 7700.
- Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on the deadline date specified on the posting.
- We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
- Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
- If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
Halton Region serves more than 624,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to the delivery of high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work. We engage great people who contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference in our community.