THIS IS AN IN PERSON HIRE ONLY, please do not apply unless you live or already have accommodation nearby, Vancouver Island.
The Old School House (TOSH) Arts Centre in Qualicum Beach requires a summer student for a 8-week position at $18 an hour, 35 hours per week (5 days a week) starting at the beginning of July. This position is also the main point person for summer Saturday hours, thus the candidate must be available on Saturdays. The position is Tuesday to Saturday.
The Gallery Assistant must be personable and needs strong communication skills to work with the volunteers, staff, visitors and the greater community at our arts centre. The assistant must become familiar with the resident artists and exhibits and help at the front desk and the gift shop, greeting visitors, answering questions and fielding sales inquiries.
Gallery Assistant will also help with some physical maintenance of TOSH. This may include painting or repairing walls and pedestals, allocating display materials and removing artwork when an exhibit is over. During regular hours and special events, Gallery Assistant ensure that the gallery is kept clean and help to carry out cleaning protocols. The assistant will be responsible for locking up at times and must be comfortable with setting the building alarm and being a key holder.
The Gallery Assistant will also assist the gift shop manager with some inventory and data entry. The GA will also assist with communications.
This position is supported by the Canada Summer Jobs program and has the following eligibility criteria:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act3; and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- Experience working with the public
- Well organized
- Willing to engage with a variety of tasks as needed
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- (desired but not necessary) Some post-secondary training in a related field (visual arts, music, writing, education, history, heritage/museum studies, etc.)
- (desired but not necessary) Experience with/in visual arts or music.
Bonus qualifications not required but would appreciate:
- Experience in social media and website builder
- Please submit both a cover letter and a resume for this position.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
All candiates will be contact for an interview by June 23rd
Start Date the week of July 1st.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Contract length: 2 months
Salary: $18.00 per hour
- Every Weekend
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
All customers and employees wear mask and operate at a distance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Qualicum Beach, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-06-23
Expected start date: 2023-07-01