Maintenance Shift Lead
Consolidated Fruit Packers
Star Produce Ltd. (The Star Group)
Status: Full time, Permanent
Consolidated Fruit Packers (CFP) has been a leader in the Canadian fresh fruit industry since 1993. Supplying premium Okanagan valley apples, cherries, blueberries, and more to satisfied consumers. With over 60 years of combined experience and the backing of The Star Group, CFP is bringing new varieties and fresh approaches to meet the needs of our customers worldwide. This I is a unique opportunity for a dynamic and energetic team player to be a part of a state-of-the-art, fresh fruit company
Our Osoyoos packing facility receives fruit (including cherries, peaches, and apples) in bulk from Okanagan-based growers and sorts it for quality and size before packaging it for shipment to our domestic and international customers. This is a working supervisor role, leading the Sanitation team members and ensuring all facility and equipment sanitation practices/procedures are completed. Compliance with all applicable regulations and standards ensures a quality product for our customers as well as the health and safety of our employees.
- Supervise, train, and coach a Sanitation team to ensure tasks and routines are completed safely and as scheduled, including daily cleaning and sanitizing of food manufacturing equipment, offices, employee welfare areas, and washrooms
- Perform minor maintenance tasks and assist with Preventative Maintenance on equipment.
- Perform lockout/tagout procedures as required
- Ensure cleaning chemicals and equipment are checked, maintained, and available in sufficient quantities, and used and stored according to regulations
- Ensure the daily log of cleaning activities is maintained and accurate
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives
- Participate in the creation and maintenance of operations documentation, such as Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), policies, and instructions
- Participate and support the management team in Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) strategies, policies, and initiatives to promote a safe and healthy workplace, and be part of the local OH&S team
- Report any maintenance, safety, and/or performance issues to the Maintenance Supervisor and/or the Operations Manager
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Key Attributes and Skills
- Safety Oriented
- Problem Solving
- Quality Orientation
- Attention to Detail
Education and Experience
- Minimum 1 year of experience cleaning and sanitizing in a food production or packing house/agriculture setting
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a lead hand or supervisory role
- Hands-on trade experience as a millwright and trade ticket is an asset
- Excellent communication skills in English (verbal, written, and listening) and ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of people is required. Ability to communicate in Punjabi and/or Spanish is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) training
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and ability to learn in-house software programs
- First Aid training is an asset
Work is conducted indoors at a fruit packing plant environment and can be subject to extreme temperature conditions. This position is required to work evenings/nights and on weekends as required. This position is full-time, with limited days off and extended hours as necessary through peak months (i.e. June, July, August, and September).
- Frequent walking, standing, climbing stairs, kneeling, and crouching
- Frequent reaching, grasping, lifting, pushing, pulling, and moving objects up to 25 kilograms (50 pounds)
- Frequent handling and use of tools and machines
- Occasional sitting and manual dexterity for computer work
About the Star Group
We love fresh produce! The Star Groupoperates in every facet of the produce industry, growing fruits and vegetables in our Canadian greenhouses, partnering with growers across Canada and importing the best and freshest from around the world. Our brands are Just Picked, Big Taste and Inspired Greens, and we believe our products are raising the bar for Canadian produce. If you embody our values of Passion, Persistence and Teamwork and would like to be part of the future of food in Canada, we would love to meet you!
We invite you to visit our website to obtain more information about our companies, divisions, brands and products – www.starproduce.com
How to Apply
Please submit your resume (in PDF Form) in confidence. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Food Facility Sanitation: 1 year (preferred)
- Preventative Maintenance: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person