The Cold Lake John Howard Society Mat Program provides support services for people involved with the justice system, living with mental illness, addictions and other challenges. We welcome clients to a community of people experiencing similar challenges meeting them where they are at. We offer a shelter from the elements and try to provide a supportive environment to individuals in need.
The program goal is to get people off the streets and provide a variety of supports that assist individuals in achieving stability, hoping to support clients to move forward with their lives.
The Mentor/Support Staff position is to provide support services to clients with a focus on individuals that may be homeless, have mental health and/or addictions issues. The Mat Program operates on a client-centered approach.
The Mentor/Support Staff will perform all duties while maintaining confidentiality and the integrity of the Cold Lake John Howard Society. The Mentor/Support Staff will report to the Program Manager and the Cold Lake John Howard Board of Directors.
The Mentor/Support Staff will work in the Lakeland area, but based out of Cold Lake.
· Provide support to clients who may face challenges including poverty, mental health, addictions, abuse and social isolation.
· Provide support in the areas of basic life management skills, accessing resources for health and well-being, assertive communication, goal setting, giving and receiving feedback, self-esteem, conflict resolution, problem solving and managing change.
· Use an individual case management approach as a tool to support clients in meeting their goals.
· Assist clients in steps to secure supportive housing and other needs
· Collect and maintain accurate statistical information for record keeping.
· Communicate and work in collaboration with key stakeholders and community agencies to assist clients.
· Apply knowledge of group dynamics in a community living setting.
· Use of excellent organizational and time management skills.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team within Cold Lake John Howard Society.
· Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
· Fully participate in the day-to-day operations of the facility.
· Possess a diploma in a Human Service/Social Work field or equivalent training and experience will be considered.
· Have no less than two (2) years related experience.
· Experience working with persons at risk and diverse clientele will be considered an asset.
· Any training related to human services would be an asset
Individuals with strong critical thinking and decision making skills will excel in this role, as will individuals with cultural sensitivity and an awareness of the broad diversity of people who are without a safe space to live. The candidate will also need to possess an understanding of clients with potential mental health and/or addictions.
An ideal candidate will have some knowledge of diversity issues, anti-discrimination practices, and the systematic reasons for homelessness. They will also possess excellent communication skills, the capability of comfortably able to work both as part of a team and with minimal supervision. There needs to be a passion to work towards breaking the cycle of homelessness.
Other requirements include a criminal record check and a valid driver’s license.
Job Type: Part-time
Flexible Language Requirement:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Cold Lake, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person