WHO WE ARE
HomeEquity Bank is a Schedule 1 Canadian chartered bank and the leading national provider of reverse mortgages, with a growing portfolio. As the only bank solely dedicated to serving homeowners 55 and up, we’re passionate about helping Canadian homeowners live retirement on their terms. We live that commitment every day, with a range of reverse mortgage solutions that include our flagship CHIP Reverse Mortgage™ product.
Our Values, Our Passion
At HomeEquity Bank, our values drive and inspire our actions with our customers, our partners and each other.
We Are Customer-Focused, Passionate Advocates.
We Have the Courage to Act and Do the Right Thing.
We Are One Team, with One Vision.
We Think Long-Term, We Are Ever-Evolving.
We Strive to Be Exceptional and Inspire Greatness.
The Director, Customer Care role is vital in ensuring the quality of managing customer complaints and successful implementation of compliance oversight and monitoring.
The role is responsible for leading the strategy and execution of organisation-wide complaints handling, managing a team of dedicated complaints specialists, and ensuring smooth day-to-day operations. The role owns the oversight of the quality and timeliness of communication, overseeing the rapid and appropriate resolution of escalated client issues. The role will work cross-functionally across the organization as a core strategic partner to operations, sales, compliance, and other business units, ensuring complaints are appropriately managed and root causes identified and actioned as part of continually optimizing the customer experience.
The role will work directly with the Senior Designated Employee (SDE) on issues bringing strategic thinking, governance and reporting, and executive attention to customer situations that would otherwise result in an elevated level of customer dissatisfaction.
Bringing to life one of HEB’s core values - Customer Obsession, this role leads customer advocacy and is part of a broader Customer Experience team responsible for elevating the voice of the customer to ensure they are adequately heard, and issues are actioned accordingly.
MAJOR ELEMENTS OF THE ROLE:
Strategy and Process Design
- Leads the Customer Care strategy across the client origination and servicing journey.
- Review and assess customer satisfaction/Voice of the Customer feedback and root causes to identify quick wins, and systemic issues, and find areas to streamline and optimize; Identify and implement strategies to improve the quality of service, productivity, and profitability; works collaboratively with the CX Strategy team to implement solutions.
- Evolve and mature established processes, protocols, and team practices with a culture of customer advocacy and accountability, measured through objective performance data and appropriate KPIs.
- Create a new process or standard operating procedures that will improve efficiency for handling complaints in general where needed.
- Lead customer care-related projects that advance the delivery of improved client and employee experiences.
Team Management & Operations
- Direct daily operations of Complaints Specialists dedicated to investigations, ensuring the team’s success through guidance in monitoring and overall handling of complaints.
- Plan, prioritize, and delegate work tasks to ensure the proper functioning of the team to meet the needs of our internal stakeholders and external customers.
- Facilitates cross-functional collaboration with the Contact Centre, Client Relations, Operations, Sales and Marketing, among others, to monitor compliance requirements, First Call Resolution (FCR) handling and provide advice on approach and timeliness of case resolutions.
- Manages objectives and performance of the team.
- Provide communication and motivational techniques in supervising, coaching, and case management.
- Provides effective learning opportunities for team members on processes, systems, products and customers.
- Supports teambuilding initiatives and effective recognition and promotes a positive team environment.
- Own the complaints training tracker and identify on an ongoing basis company-wide training needs.
- Develop and deploy complaints training in collaboration with Client Relations leadership and HR.
Governance and Reporting
- Establish agenda and reporting for governance forums to be chaired by the SDE
- Oversee the analysis and documentation of issues and resolution of action plans developed to address the root causes; provide insightful reporting to reduce the number of complaints and length of resolution.
- Assist in the preparation of reports to the ORMC and CRRMC, as well as annual reports to the public on the effectiveness of the complaints program.
- Review of regulatory reports in conjunction with Compliance before filing (Quarterly and Annual to FCAC)
- Prepare materials in response to regulatory and external complaints body inquiries and investigations relative to complaints.
- Work closely with CX analysts to monitor data accuracy in reporting materials.
Executive Complaint Handling & Resources
- Oversees senior executive escalated issues from end-to-end, supporting the SDE in assessing, investigating, and resolving escalated complaints which reach the SDE level, including responses back to the complainant.
- Manage complex complaints, where needed, by bringing together different teams.
- Ensure the necessary resources and tools are available for quality customer service delivery.
- Obtain feedback from stakeholders and be the key liaison with IT to ensure applicable systems remain fit for purpose with appropriate enhancements; be the business owner supporting such changes.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Education and Professional Background
- Senior-level experience with complaints handling, investigations, and conflict resolution
- 5+ years in customer service/complaints team management, with the ability to coach and guide a growing team
- Proven Management and/or relationship management experience at a senior, strategic-level role.
- Demonstrated experience in managing early phase operations, with the ability to manage ambiguity and quickly adapt learnings.
- Demonstrated experience preparing and delivering concise reports to Senior Management and Board
- Demonstrated understanding of Financial Complaint Handling Regulations and risks of non-compliance
Working Conditions Unique to Job:
- Strong attention to detail and ability to analyze and interpret information (complaints and reports); data-driven decision-making.
- Strong verbal & written communication, critical thinking, relationship management and project management skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively at all levels in the organization, including Executive Management
- Strong negotiation skills as well as an empathetic listener
- Ability to deal with change.
- Ability to demonstrate responsibility.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal & problem-solving skills
- Excellent phone etiquette
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, plan and manage deadlines.
- Dependable with a positive attitude
- Hybrid office environment
WHY WORK AT HOMEEQUITY BANK?
HomeEquity Bank offers a hybrid working environment supported with a culture of flexibility – an approach that is unique to each person, and that enables both business and individual needs to be met in a mutually beneficial way.
We pride ourselves in recognizing and celebrating performance, community service, teamwork, and diversity among our employees.
A Dynamic Culture – With People at the Centre
We believe our people making all the difference; our tireless commitment to inclusivity, professional development, and employee engagement/experience has been recognized through awards including the Waterstone Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures 2022, the Globe and Mail's Report on Business: Canada's Top Growing Companies 2022 (third year since 2019), Canadian's Mortgage Professional (CMP) Top Mortgage Employer 2023 for the third year in a row and Achievers Top 50 Most Engaged Workplaces 2023.
Growth and Opportunities
We provide challenging and rewarding careers in a wide variety of fields. We continuously develop and train our employees through professional growth opportunities and on-the-job training. We also encourage our employees to develop professionally and personally though a series of career developing programs including our Educational Assistance Program, designed to reimburse costs related to professional learning and development, as well as providing employees unlimited access to LinkedIn Learning.
Celebrating Great Work and People
We believe in an environment that celebrates success, knowledge, leadership, and work that is inspired by our core values. For these reasons, we have created several programs that make it easy for our employees to say ‘great job’ to their colleagues and leaders.
From our Appreciate! Program to the High Five Award Program and President’s Award Program, we recognize professional achievement with a variety of rewards including points towards gift cards, merchandise, and travel experiences, as well as group RRSP/DPSP contributions and more.
Our Community Leadership Program also recognizes employees who make a positive impact in their communities through volunteer work with a grant for their charity of choice. Additionally, we provide employees with the opportunity to take a paid day off each year to support their favourite local charity.
HomeEquity Bank offers a competitive total rewards package that includes the following:
- Extended health and dental benefits
- Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Employer Matched Group Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Share Investment Plan
- Well-being initiatives including: a wellness account; virtual self-care programs and extended mental health benefits
- Employee corporate discount for GoodLife Fitness
Stay in the Know
Find out what we’re up to online, and learn more about what makes HomeEquity Bank a great place to work: