Founded in 1911 when Vancouver was just 25 years old, Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club traces its history back to the earliest days of golf on the West Coast. First located on Canadian Pacific Railway lands, the Club moved in 1960 to the ancestral site of the Musqueam Nation’s winter village. Shaughnessy has served as the proud host of many prestigious events and notable figures in golf and tennis over these 100+ years. Today’s Club features an award-winning clubhouse, highly ranked and competitive golf course, indoor and outdoor tennis, fitness, and a golf performance centre.
Our Core Values:
The Shaughnessy Experience is what we strive to provide our members, through exceptional service, memorable experiences, and world-class amenities. We are committed to providing the Shaughnessy Experience through the use of our core values,
Our Club is currently looking for a permanent full-time Bar and Wine Manager to join our team. Reporting to the Director of Food & Beverage, the successful candidate plays a crucial role in shaping the guest experience by curating an outstanding beverage menu, managing a talented team of bartenders, and ensuring the seamless operation of our bar and wine service. The Bar and Wine Manager will be responsible for the selection, purchasing, and inventory management of all beverages, as well as overseeing the training and development of staff. Candidates must be flexible to work ‘hospitality hours’ based on business needs, including morning and/or evening shifts depending on scheduled events and functions. This also includes holidays, and weekends.
Who You Are:
- Passionate about hospitality, wine and beverages
- Attentive and motivated – you have a strong commitment to high standards and take pride in your work
- Thriving in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- A self-starter who takes accountability and initiative, who can work successfully independently or as part of a team with minimal supervision
- Engaging and enthusiastic – you enjoy getting to know people
- High energy and a desire to cultivate a positive and fun work culture
- Emerging leader with the ability to develop and motivate staff members to achieve challenging goals
- Honest, courteous, obliging and attentive demeanor
- Providing consistent, high-quality service to all members and guests, ensuring positive experiences for every customer.
- Possessing full knowledge and understanding of the assigned work section and related side tasks.
- Demonstrating knowledge of sanitation, hygiene, and safety practices in food and beverage preparation and service.
- Adhering to Club policies, Food and Beverage policies, and Health & Safety policies as per Club standards.
- Familiarity with Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club's Employee Manual, understanding its policies, rules, and regulations.
- Fostering spirited teamwork and maintaining a strong work ethic with fellow Club employees.
Beverage and Wine Program Management
- Overseeing the bar and acting as Lead Bartender on most shifts.
- Developing and maintaining an innovative and well-rounded beverage menu, including wines, spirits, cocktails, and non-alcoholic options.
- Regularly updating the menu to reflect seasonal and trending selections.
- Overseeing the procurement of beverages and wines, negotiating with suppliers, and managing inventory to minimize wastage and maximize profitability.
- Monitoring and managing beverage costs while maintaining high-quality offerings.
- Participating in Shaughnessy’s events and working closely with the Club Event Manager or any relevant manager when needed.
- Recruiting, training, and mentoring a team of bartenders to ensure a high level of service.
- Setting performance expectations and providing ongoing feedback to enhance staff skills and knowledge.
- Creating a positive and collaborative work environment that encourages creativity and professionalism.
- Ensuring exceptional customer service by maintaining a welcoming and knowledgeable staff.
- Handling member and guest inquiries and concerns related to the bar and wine program with professionalism and care.
- Actively engaging with members and guests, offering recommendations and insights on beverage selections.
Compliance and Safety
- Upholding food and beverage service standards, including Serving It Right protocols, and following Responsible Service BC regulations.
- Maintaining a safe and clean bar area, adhering to health and safety standards.
- Refraining from endangering yourself or others, avoiding pranks, contests, unnecessary running, or boisterous conduct.
- Wearing and using the personal protective equipment provided by the Club as required for each task.
- Reporting any accidents that occur on the premises to management immediately.
- Utilizing Club equipment, supplies, and other tools responsibly and safely.
- Conducting regular equipment maintenance and coordinating repairs as needed. Reporting any faulty equipment or hazards to management promptly and take necessary actions to prevent accidents or injuries to others.
- Maintaining awareness of job safety and accident prevention measures.
- Assisting with development and management of budgets for the bar and wine program, working to achieve financial targets.
- Assisting with monitoring of sales and expenses, analyzing trends, and implementing cost-saving measures when appropriate.
- Assisting with implementation of pricing strategies that maximize profitability without compromising quality.
Performing additional duties as assigned by any member of the management team.
- Proven experience as a Bar Manager, Beverage Manager, or similar role in a high-end establishment.
- Sommelier accreditation or wine education is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of wines, spirits, cocktails, and beverage trends.
- Minimum of 2 years of inventory management experience.
- Familiarity with cost control.
- Exceptional leadership and team-building skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess Serving It Right certification or become certified and age 19 years or older to serve alcohol.
- A passion for delivering an outstanding guest experience.
- Ability to remain calm and resolve problems using good judgment.
- Ability to understand a member’s/guest’s service needs.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of member information.
- Proficient in speaking, reading and writing English.
- Always present a clean and professional appearance.
- Willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Physically able to stand for extended periods, bend, and maneuver stairs.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Full-time, permanent position; Base Salary of $60,000+; based on qualifications and experience
- Annual bonus
- Extensive benefits package following successful completion of probationary period, including extended health and dental coverage, life and disability insurance, and group RSP-matching program.
- Participation in the Club’s Staff Meal Program
- Staff Golf and Tennis Privileges
- Opportunities for learning, and growth
If you are interested in this position, please send your cover letter and detailed resume to:
E-mail: [email protected]
Subject: Bar & Wine Manager
Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified individuals to apply. Please note only qualified candidates will be considered and contacted regarding this position.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: From $60,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Morning shift
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Vancouver, BC V6N 4A6: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- How many years of inventory management experience do you have?
- How many years of supervisory or managerial experience do you have in a high-end establishment?
- Supervisory or managerial: 1 year (required)
- Serving It Right (required)
- Day Shift (required)
- Night Shift (required)
Work Location: In person