Director of Operations
Edmonton Zone Primary Care Network Committee
The Edmonton Zone Primary Care Network Committee (EZPCNC) is seeking a dynamic and proactive Director of Operations to lead and expand on the impact of a progressive, committed group of organizations dedicated to improving the delivery of primary care.
The EZPCNC is a collaborative collective made up of nine independent, stand-alone corporations (the eight Primary Care Networks operating in Edmonton and the surrounding area along with Alberta Health Services – Edmonton Zone). The EZPCNC exists to identify and improve the areas of primary care that impact all nine organizations. Currently this includes addictions and mental health, building capacity in primary care, specialty access and linkages, and transitions of care as patients move from home to hospital to back home again.
The EZPCNC is not a legal entity and it as it has no authority to compel participation, rather it seems to create an engaging environment where everyone feels heard. It is a true collaborative where issues are identified and solutions are sought by all the partners digging in and working together. As the EZPCNC is a collaborative it does not have a public face, so you won’t find a website about us or a social media presence, but we definitely do exist. The EZ team that works directly on these initiatives is a mighty group of six direct reports and works closely with the EZPCNC Medical Director, who is in a dyad with this role.
Reporting to the full EZPCNC via its two Co-Chairs, the Director of Operations must espouse a passion for this collaborative work in primary care and be a mix of a strategic leader, enthusiastic booster, savvy in reading the room, a pro at stakeholder relationships, and a strong hands-on manager. The Director of Operations provides skilled leadership, builds community, and manages operations to ensure the EZPCNC fulfills its purpose and strategic direction and improves patient care.
The successful candidate in this role will be independent, willing to tackle problems head on yet be self-aware enough to know when to ask for support and direction, set clear and correct priorities, and, ultimately, be able to help solve complex, sticky problems.
This is a home office-based role, although as numerous meetings occur in person, it is highly preferred that the successful individual be based in Edmonton or the surrounding area.
Compensation for this role is anticipated to be in the $130 - $140K range, dependant on the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
The EZPCNC is seeking highly skilled candidates who reflect the diversity of Canadian society. We encourage applicants from underrepresented groups including but not limited to those represented by race, sex, Indigeneity, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation to apply.
Summary of Position
The Director of Operations for the EZPCNC is a full-time (1.0 FTE) role. This position, along with the Zone PCN Medical Director, comprise the executive staff of the EZPCNC structure. All other zone staff and contractors (anticipated to be six people) report to this role.
As the EZPCNC is not a legal entity, the individual is legally employed by the Edmonton O-day’min PCN and as such is bound by their employment policies and procedures. However, the role reports to the Co-Chairs of the EZ PCN Committee and will be supported and evaluated by the Governance and Human Resources Committee.
Meetings are a mix of both in-person and virtual; the position is home-office based with the option to work in a drop-down manner across PCN and AHS sites.
Given this role is part of the primary healthcare system, it may be called upon to respond to a public health emergency (as identified by the Medical Officer of Health). Otherwise, the key aspects of this role may include, but are not limited to:
Key Duties & Responsibilities
1. Leadership & Governance (40%)
- Administrative leadership of the organization, representing the primary care interests of both Alberta Health Services and all Edmonton Zone PCNs equally. Work closely with the Zone PCN Medical Director for the overall health and success of the organization.
- Develop effective, dynamic, and respectful relationships with all members of the EZPCNC, subcommittee chairs, staff, and other key partners.
- Ensure the full implementation of the Zone Service Plan of the organization; support the activities of the subcommittees tasked with championing the Zone Service Plan.
- Develop, implement, monitor, and evaluate the annual operations plan in collaboration with staff and other key partners.
- Ensure there is an effective framework of governance (including an annual calendar) that is maintained, and all participants understand, ensuring role clarity and clear accountabilities.
- Ensure that there is an effective operations model including risk management and other protocols, policies, and procedures that provide the direction, parameters, and documentation within which business is conducted.
- Ensure all financial, legislative, and other requirements are met to ensure the organization remains viable and in good standing.
- Support all activities of the EZPCN Committee and its Co-Chairs and attend these meetings as well as all subcommittee meetings focused on governance (including the Executive Committee, Finance & Audit, Governance & HR, and Strategic Engagement & Communication). Ensure commitments are met and provide all reports and other materials in a timely and accurate manner.
- Support and participate in other zone groups and entities (such as the Edmonton Zone PCN Physician Advisory Committee, PCN Executive Director’s Community of Practice, etc.), as appropriate.
- Support, promote, and embed within the organization the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion by (but not limited to) reviewing tools and processes from an EDI perspective and to practice equitable hiring and inclusion of anti-oppression related questions in interviews.
- Work with the Committee to orient, educate, and help retain members. Ensure any public members receive specialized support to help them integrate and contribute.
- Identify, assess, and inform the appropriate Committee of any internal and external issues or barriers which may affect the organization and its ability to achieve its objectives.
2. Operations (40%)
- Ensure the delivery of agreed upon programs and services within the resources available. Monitor and evaluate all initiatives to ensure success, ongoing relevance, and overall efficiency.
- Ensure all required reporting, plans, and documentation are provided to the EZPCN Committee and Alberta Health, as required.
- Ensure day-to-day operations are managed effectively and efficiently.
- Determine, implement, and oversee the appropriate mix of contractors and/or staff required to support the organization and hire appropriately.
- Orient, educate, coach, support, evaluate, and help staff to meet organization objectives.
3. Stakeholder Engagement, Communication and Public Relations (10%)
- Represent the EZPCNC on external committees, as required, to support the organizations’ role and position as advocate for effective primary care in the Edmonton Zone.
- Identify, develop, and expand strategic relationships with relevant partners and stakeholders in healthcare, government, and the community to advance organization goals and profile.
- Ensure that all communications from the organization are clear, accurate, and align with organizational goals.
- Support the Co-Chairs in their roles as the organization’s spokespeople.
- Work with the Committee, staff, and others to develop and build the EZPCNC’s brand and profile.
4. Financial Management (10%)
Work with the organization’s accountant/banker to provide:
- Leadership and direction of the financial management, accountability, and budgeting process of the EZPCNC.
- Oversight to confirm effective management and controls for all financial resources, monitoring of the organization’s cash flow and expenditures; and that appropriate accounting, record keeping, and internal controls are followed.
- Input into the development of an annual budget that is aligned with strategic and operational objectives.
- Evaluate current revenue streams and identify new areas for revenue development and growth beyond membership contributions.
Qualifications & Requirements
- A minimum of five years, ideally more, of senior leadership experience in a small to mid-size non-profit and/or healthcare organization, preferably at the Executive Director/ Director of Operations / CEO level.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and a proven grasp of governance best practices, ideally with not-for-profits.
- Demonstrated ability to implement strategic and annual plans with growth objectives.
- Experience in financial oversight and financial management.
- Demonstrated success in building strong partnerships and ability to advocate.
- Ability to identify, manage, and report on organizational risk.
- Experience in all areas of program evaluation.
- Excellent skills in project management, negotiation, strategic decision-making, and problem solving.
- Exceptional verbal, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to influence, motivate, and rally multiple groups around a common cause.
- Experience managing and building successful, accountable staff and contractors in a remote work environment.
- Skilled with various technical systems and comfortable adapting to new digital tools. Experience with Microsoft tools and Zoom an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and successfully manage multiple priorities.
- Related degree in business or health policy or a relevant combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Due to a handful of meetings occurring outside of normal office hours, flexible availability is required.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to send a resume and letter of interest to [email protected] by October 12, 2023; please use “EZPCNC Leadership Application” as the subject line. In addition, your letter of interest should answer the following in 300 words or less:
Please tell us why you are interested in this role with the EZPCNC and why at this point in your career. When answering this question please focus on how your values, experience and education aligns with the key skills and competencies required for this role.
In your cover letter, be sure to provide a glimpse of your personality to us. All inquiries and applications will be reviewed in detail and held in strict confidence. Only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $130,000.00-$140,000.00 per year
Flexible Language Requirement:
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Edmonton, AB T5G 0E5