Manager, Events and Learning
The opportunity: The Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) is looking for an experienced and detail-oriented Manager, Events and Learning who will bring their energy, expertise, creativity, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn new things to a national not-for-profit organization implementing its new strategic plan.
Reporting to the Director, Member Services, the Manager, Events and Learning plays an important role in the ongoing development and delivery of CIP’s national conference and professional learning programming, in support of the Institute’s Strategic Plan priority “Career Support for Life”. Working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, this individual requires event management experience in both in-person and online environments and effective organizational skills to coordinate and lead multiple continuous professional learning initiatives. This includes the Institute's annual national hybrid conference, as well as the delivery of high-quality webinars and educational resources. The position requires a well-rounded professional who can develop and execute key programs and projects, ensuring attention to detail and high-quality content.
What we do: CIP is a member-based organization that works on behalf of over 8,000 planning professionals and students across Canada. Our members work on many important issues, from planning new communities and public spaces, to expanding public transit and bike paths (and much more!). As such, our organization is involved in conversations on how to support aspiring planners on their career journey, as well as policy issues related to climate change, healthy communities, housing, and what it means to support Truth and Reconciliation in our communities.
Who we are: CIP is strongly committed to a diverse, inclusive, and accessible workplace and strives to maintain a collaborative work environment that fosters personal and professional growth for all employees. CIP is also committed to the health and safety of our staff, members, stakeholders, and the communities where we live and work. Accordingly, all CIP employees must be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment per our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Where we are: Due to the collaborative nature of this role, the Manager, Events and Learning will be a hybrid employee and expected to be in the CIP office in-person, in downtown Ottawa, a minimum of two (2) days per week. They may work either in the CIP office or remotely from a secure location with private wi-fi the remaining three (3) days per week. The core, in-office workdays are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and all hybrid employees are expected to be in the CIP office a minimum of two (2) of these days. Please note that remote work is voluntary and not required and that CIP will not provide equipment or support for home offices. CIP respectfully acknowledges that our office is located on the unceded territory of the Anishinaabe Algonquin Nation. CIP values the ongoing stewardship of all First Nations, Inuit, and Métis peoples.
What we’re offering: Compensation for this position is $70,000-$85,000/year (commensurate with experience), plus the following enhancements:
- A comprehensive benefits package (Extended Health, Dental, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, and Employee and Family Assistance Program) – all premiums paid by CIP except for LTD
- An RRSP/TFSA contribution matching program – up to 5% of gross salary
- Generous vacation entitlement – 20 paid days/year, plus additional non-statutory holidays
- Generous personal leave (for illness, family emergencies, etc.) – up to 12 paid days/year
- Professional development opportunities
- Hybrid office work environment, with flex-time option as per CIP policy
CIP also offers a healthy and positive work environment, with a team that strongly believes diversity and inclusion are key to a respectful workplace.
Major areas of responsibility within the portfolio include, but are not limited to:
The national hybrid conference is CIP’s largest annual event, welcoming approximately 1,000 delegates to network and learn from in-person and online programming that advances CIP’s Values and Strategic Plan. The Manager, Events and Learning, will be responsible for the overall management and delivery of the conference, including, but not limited to:
· Working collaboratively with the Director, Member Services, volunteers, and contracted suppliers to support the development and implementation of the annual hybrid conference program, including social events, awards ceremonies, learning tours, programs, meetings, and exhibitors.
· Coordinating conference requirements and logistics including registration, audio visual, transportation, food and beverage, volunteers, speakers, and keynotes.
· Supporting the Director, Member Services, with RFP and budget development and related financial administration, with assistance from the Officer, Finance.
· Producing pre-conference and follow-up materials, including call for proposals, sponsorship packages, post-event surveys, and reports (attendance metrics, feedback, outcomes against objectives, budget, lessons-learned, ROI).
· Leading in the development of online event management systems, including conference website and app (currently using Pheedloop).
· Working collaboratively with the administrative support staff to provide assistance to event attendees before and during events (general questions, receipts, technical help, etc.).
· Coordinating registration processes and compiling event and registration data for reporting.
· Coordinating the recruitment, training, and scheduling of volunteers and staff, and ensuring acknowledgement and recognition.
· Leading in tracking and reporting of Continuous Professional Learning credits for eligible members attending national conference.
· Working closely with sponsors to ensure deliverables are achieved in a timely manner, including logos, signage, discount codes, and acknowledgements.
· Collaborating with the communications department to develop the promotional strategy to build conference and event awareness, and to coordinate logistics for items such as signage, collateral materials, presentation design, etc.
Learning Events - Program Delivery
CIP is the leading organization for delivering high-quality, accessible, professional development opportunities for professional planners in Canada. The Manager, Events and Learning, will support the program delivery of CIP’s learning events through:
· Working collaboratively with the Director, Member Services, and National Director, Policy and Public Affairs, to support the development and implementation of the annual learning plan that aligns with CIP’s strategic priorities.
· Working with subject-matter experts, the CIP team, and committees as required to deliver high-quality and innovative educational programming in support of the learning plan.
· Providing IT support and management of online educational programming (currently webinar hosting is delivered via Zoom), including technical support for speakers and moderators.
· Manage the development of promotional materials for learning events, including ensuring the communications team has up-to-date content for the website, publications, and social media.
· Building event and registration information into CIP’s online Events module.
· Overseeing all registration and payment logistics of educational programming.
· Managing the participant feedback process and analysis of responses.
· Managing the CIP Professional Learning HUB, adding relevant and quality resources on a regular basis (including conference content).
Project Management and Administration
In support of CIP’s organizational objective to deliver member value, the Manager, Events and Learning, will:
· Ensure that CIP’s learning events uphold the Institute’s Valuesand advance strategic priorities.
· Act as staff lead for ensuring adherence to the Event Code of Conductpolicy and procedure.
· Apply and maintain a continuous improvement approach to CIP’s educational programming, including staying up-to-date on the latest developments in conference-hosting and professional educational offerings and best practices, ensuring quality content and delivery (including consideration of accessibility, functionality, and environmental impact).
· Understand and ensure that information on Continuous Professional Learning requirementsare accurately communicated with members.
· Research services, vendors, and suppliers, coordinate RFPs, and establish contracts, as required and in compliance with CIP policies.
· Use project management tools to coordinate project workflows and teams (currently using Basecamp).
· Develop templates and processes to capture corporate knowledge and best practices, and to document protocols.
· Support and maintain brand and identity guidelines to ensure consistency in all events and related communications.
· Produce and maintains reporting systems for tracking of key metrics for conference, learning events, and the Professional Learning HUB.
· Work closely with the Officer, Finance, to track and monitor budgets, as well as oversee revenues and expenses (and accurate coding), and reporting for individual learning event transactions.
· Collaborate closely with key partners to ensure all initiatives are well executed, on time, and on budget.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and background:
· Experience working with a membership-based/not-for-profit organization
· Relevant work experience and project management in event planning and execution
· Experience in hybrid conference management and in-person events (over 500 attendees)
· Strong communication, analytical, writing, editing, and verbal skills for communicating with a wide range of partners and individuals
· Experience coordinating and delivering web-based learning content, including IT troubleshooting
· A high degree of computer literacy (CIP currently uses Microsoft Office Suite, Basecamp, member databases, and content management systems)
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills in developing professional relationships with co-workers, suppliers, members, students, partners, and third parties
· Ability to occasionally work overtime for events outside of standard office hours (particularly during conference season)
· Ability to travel outside of Ottawa for annual conference, as well as other events as needed
· Bilingualism (English/French) is considered an asset, particularly as materials and learning events are offered in both official languages
· Knowledge and experience working with volunteers and contractors is considered an asset
· CMP certification is considered an asset
· Effective as a collaborator and leader, with an interest in contributing positively to a team environment
· Commitment to providing and fostering an inclusive and respectful learning environment
· Sound judgment, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
· Superior active listening and problem-solving skills
· Ability to adapt to a fast-paced work environment
· Strong organizational, analytical, and time management skills, with very good attention to detail
· Self-motivated and can work independently
· A people person, with an excellent ‘customer service’ attitude
· A high degree of flexibility to achieve organizational objectives and meet demands and needs
· Creative, energetic, and innovative approach to identifying solutions
· Willingness to learn and a ‘continuous improvement’ mindset
How to apply:If you are passionate about creating first-rate events and learning experiences, and are interested in working collaboratively with the CIP team plus stakeholders across the country, we’d love to hear from you. Applicants are asked to submit a single PDF document to [email protected] which includes:
· A cover letter addressing the duties, skills and abilities, and hard qualifications for the position, explaining why you are well suited to the position
· A detailed C.V., including a summary of relevant knowledge and workplace experience
We thank all who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIP is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. CIP welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $70,000.00-$85,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Work from home
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ottawa, ON K1P 5J3: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Ottawa, ON K1P 5J3