This position will collaborate and work closely with Store Manager, Operations Manager and Category Managers on various areas including, but not limited to in-store event hosting, off-site event hosting, product selection, product knowledge training, team meetings, etc.
Working with the Wine Spirits Beer team in our World of Whisky store, this role will be responsible to assist in driving whisky sales initiatives by using in-house materials and programming; creating valued relationships with customers resulting in loyalty; training and development of whisky knowledge for both team members and customers who visit our stores and tasting centres; assist with creating a must-stop Wine Spirits Beer destination for customers through our points of differentiation in the marketplace and our distinct competitive advantages.
- Interact with customers on the sales floor (and other points of contact) to provide expert advice, create an ongoing relationship with key customers, and provide continuous education for Calgary Co-op Wine Spirits Beer staff under the guidelines outlined by the WSB Management team.
- Work with Store Manager, Category Manager, and Industry Partners as instructed to assist in creating and maintaining a unique selection of whisky that will attract enthusiasts to Calgary Co-op Wine Spirits Beer.
- Drive additional sales through actively promoting and conducting public and private whisky education seminars, and product samplings in store and off-site.
- Maintain current industry trends and product knowledge through periodicals, meetings, internal trainings and attending approved industry events.
- Participate in the development and action of yearly performance work plan and development action plan.
- Collaborate with manager in establishing a standard of excellence in shelf set-up and display merchandising, focusing on all products including high margin and premium products.
- Plan and perform all aspects of liquor retail operations.
- Provide administrative support to the Liquor Manager through assistance with coaching, training and leadership. Assist in develop and maintain schedules, including inputting and editing as required with Manager approval.
- Handle merchandise ensuring quality, minimizing damages, markdowns, provide recommendations and substitutions and ensures price integrity including price changes.
Provide leadership in the areas of Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) including participate in OH&S activities, ensuring employees are knowledgeable about and comply with OH&S policies, procedures and legislation, assist in identifying unhealthy, unsafe situations and ensure corrective action is taken.
- Grade 12 education or acceptable combination of experience and education.
- WSET Level 2 – Spirits, or certification from an accredited whisky training institution (Whisky Ambassador)
- 3 years’ experience in the liquor industry
- Experience with product selection and creating a well-rounded assortment of whisky
- Pro-Serve training
- Basic ordering/receiving and merchandising skills
Basic Microsoft Office knowledge (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Working knowledge of AGLC (Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission) rules and regulations, including but not limited to rules and regulations as it pertains to the service of alcohol in Alberta
- Public Speaking and experience hosting public tasting events both formal and informal.
- Experience teaching structured whisky seminars from entry level to advanced students
- Experience with Social Media outlets and etiquette
- Basic knowledge of cash handling and point of sale transaction procedures
Kronos knowledge and basic Category Analyzer knowledge
ABOUT CALGARY COOP
Owned by members, Calgary Co-op is one of the largest retail co-operatives in North America. We have locations in Calgary, Airdrie, Cochrane, High River, Okotoks and Strathmore include: food centres, pharmacies, gas stations, car washes, commercial cardlocks, home health care centres, wine, spirits and beer locations, and cannabis. We also own and operate Community Natural Foods. With over 425,000 members, 3,850 employees, assets of $689 million and annual sales of $1.3 billion, Calgary Co-op was recognized as one of Alberta's Top 75 Employers of 2023 and is committed to delivering an exceptional customer experience through inspired team members. Calgary Co-op has been one of Alberta’s top 75 employers for 7 consecutive years.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.