Procon Mining and Tunnelling (Procon) is one of the leading mine development contractors in North America. We are specialized in underground mine development, contract mining, underground excavations, civil tunneling and mining related construction projects. Centered by our people, our company culture is driven on the tenets of integrity, innovation, relationships and performance for our clients, business partners and the communities we work in. As a specialty contractor in a safety-sensitive business, our workforce safety is the foundation for everything we do.
Procon takes pride in our extensive history of successfully partnering with Indigenous communities. We believe in Indigenous partnerships that offer mutually beneficial outcomes through economic benefits and capacity building. Moving beyond compliance, we truly value the experience and knowledge brought to our Indigenous partnerships.
We are looking for a motivated people who are committed to growing their professional career at Procon while gaining valuable knowledge and experience.
Based at our project in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, this will be a 2 week on / 2 week off rotation opportunity.
The Heavy Equipment Mechanic Apprentice on our remote project in Northwest Territories will help to maintain and service our mining fleet underground. This will include but not limitied to the following:
- Follow all policies and processes at the mine site and underground
- Must be prepared to adhere to all legislated regulations and company Health & Safety policies
- Perform the role safely and ensures Health & Safety is the number one priority
- Good comprehension when reading information and/or receiving verbal instructions as required to perform assigned duties in a safe and efficient manner
- Clean, fuel and lubricate equipment
- Drive the ramp, as well as performing mechanical work in a shop atmosphere
- The apprentice will rotate through the mining shaft and work with different journeymen at site to gain a broad range of experience
- Must be enrolled in Heavy Equipment Mechanic Apprenticeship (min. second or third year apprentice)
- Previous underground mining experience is preferred
- Experience working with a variety of crews and adapts well to working with others
- Quick learner who can pick up mechanical tasks quickly
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment
- Dependable and able to commit to a 2 week on / 2 week off rotation
- Positive attitude and enjoys being a proactive member of a high performing team
- Preference will be given to those who reside in the Northwest Territories
Residents of the Northwest Territories and candidates identifying as Indigenous are encouraged to apply.
- Drug Test
- Criminal Record Check
If this position involves frequent air travel to and from the work site. Applicants must meet all legislated requirements for air travel to work at the remote site camp. You will be required to work both dayshift and nightshift as part of the rotational schedule 14 days on site, 14 days off site. For this safety sensitive position, you will be required to undergo a background check and be required to undergo a substance test and pre-employment testing.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion is valued at Procon and increasing Indigenous and minority groups representation within our company’s workforce composition is a priority. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all qualified applicants.
We mine talent and nurture innovation. Our people truly are our strength. At Procon, whether in the field or the office, you’ll be part of a cohesive team and work alongside great people from diverse backgrounds: people who love their work and are inspired to provide solutions to our clients and exceed expectations.
We thank all candidates who apply, however please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.