Sequence Bio is a Newfoundland and Labrador-based biotechnology company conducting genetic research to discover the true biological causes of disease.
We collaborate with the people and medical professionals of Newfoundland and Labrador, and partners with leading pharma and biotech, to help accelerate the development of better preventions, treatments, and medicines for global unmet medical needs.
Overview of the Role
The Cloud Developer works closely with the technical team to build a robust, secure and scalable platform that supports cutting edge genetic research, improves participant engagement, and optimizes our research activities. They develop best-practice cloud infrastructure on AWS using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) technologies.
- Desire to engage in continuous learning with respect to cloud technologies.
- Programming background in Python, Ruby or other related languages.
- Recent graduate from a technical program and/or 2 - 3 years of related experience.
- Detail oriented with an ability to develop solutions for complex problems.
- Passion to learn, grow and collaborate with others.
- Background working with AWS or another cloud service provider is considered beneficial, but not required (we will show you the ropes!).
- Team player who likes to ask and answer questions in order to draw on and expand the experience of others.
- An appreciation for the latest technology tools, and basic proficiency with and/or willingness to learn business intelligence tools (e.g. Salesforce, Google Docs, Slack, etc.).
- Develop cloud infrastructure on AWS. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Optimizing storage and computer usage.
- Configuring production-ready monitoring.
- Organizing security groups.
- Designing solutions for deploying new applications.
- Scripting and building system bootstrap scripts and AWS Lambda Functions using bash, Python, and Ruby.
- Build, test, and deploy cloud infrastructure using code (IaC) technologies like Terraform and GitHub.
- Maintain (or attain) certification as a Hashicorp Certified Terraform Associate, AWS Certified Solutions Architect, or AWS Certified Developer.
- Maintain cloud infrastructure responding to outages and/or security events.
- Factor security best practices into Sequence Bio architecture and reason about network security concerns.
- Support Sequence Bio’s operational security program as it applies to cloud infrastructure.
- Manage container-based deployments using tools like Docker and ECS.
- Protect all data in accordance with the Company’s policies and work proactively and collaboratively with the Security Team in the event of any security issues that come to your attention.
- Other duties as required by your team lead(s) or the executive team.
- Willing to take initiative and create and take on new responsibilities as our company continues to grow.
Position(s): Full Time
Location: St. John’s, NL
Salary: Commensurate with experience and education
Benefits: Flexible and generous PTO policy, progressive health and wellness benefits plan, RRSP contribution matching benefit, competitive stock option plan, learning and development resources, volunteer time, and more!
Working at Sequence Bio
Ethics, Privacy & Security
Ethics, privacy and security excellence is rooted in everything we do at Sequence Bio. We are transparent about our information sharing policies and practices, and are committed to returning benefits to Newfoundland and Labrador. All our employees must uphold the company's commitment in all they do and champion the company’s ethics, privacy and security mindset to ensure we maintain our best-in-class approach.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sequence Bio is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB), and recognize the importance and value of a diverse workforce. We are committed to creating a safe, inclusive and respectful environment for all employees. If you require any accommodation, during any stage of our recruitment process, please share with us how we can best assist you.
Culture and Benefits
Sequence Bio is one of Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers for 2023! We were selected because of our commitment to employee benefits, our flexible people-first policies, training and development opportunities for our team, our leadership in gender diversity, and much more.