Department: Finance and Treasury Board
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: Exclusion - Non Union - NSPG
Closing Date: 9/26/2023 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
At the Department of Finance and Treasury Board we strive to provide financial leadership, analysis and policies that strengthen Nova Scotia. As stewards of the province’s financial affairs, we deliver a wide range of corporate fiscal and management services – including the preparation of the provincial budget – as well as ensure government plans are coordinated and fiscally responsible.
We are constantly looking for new and better ways to plan, manage, budget and invest.
Reporting to the Director of Compensation, the Corporate Compensation Consultant designs, develops, implements, and manages compensation strategies, solutions and plans for the Province of Nova Scotia. As a subject matter expert, you will deal with all aspects of compensation management including base pay, job documentation, job evaluation, market competitiveness, and data analysis and management. We have a broad client base across the public sector including the civil service, crown corporations, health, and education sectors.
- Develop compensation solutions for clients by clarifying client needs, designing solutions using accepted compensation principles in areas such as work measurement, pay and banding structures and market competitiveness. The solution may be as small as addressing market competitiveness for one job or building a compensation plan for hundreds of jobs. This includes building pay structures, cost estimates, seeking appropriate approvals, writing plan/policy documents, and managing implementation within established budgets and timelines.
- Provide advice and recommendations to Government on compensation matters by identifying or analyzing issues on a wide range of topics such as pay relativity for specific jobs, bargaining units, employers or sectors (e.g. Civil Service, crown agencies, health, education), assessing compensation proposals developed by agencies or designing, updating or managing corporate compensation plans.
- Facilitate pay adjustments by evaluating market competitiveness, creating options where needed, costing, supporting Cabinet approval requests, working within approved budgets, and partnering with HR and stakeholders in different sectors to provide employee payments.
- Contribute to our market data needs by conducting custom market surveys or obtaining data from external surveys, maintaining a network of external contacts for data sharing, analyzing data using appropriate statistics and effectively applying the data to decision making.
- Provide data analysis that supports the management of compensation plans by extracting and analyzing data from our Human Resources Information System to understand trends, conduct audits, assess plan performance, cost pay adjustments, develop metrics or recommend changes to compensation plans.
- Contribute to the effective management of compensation plans by assessing issues; providing advice and guidance to clients; creating improved approaches to manage plans; writing, updating or assessing policy or plan documents; creating and delivering presentations and training modules to clients.
A university degree in a related discipline and at least three years experience in the design and management of compensation plans.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies:
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel
- Ability to manipulate large data sets, detect trends, draw conclusions, and formulate recommendations
- Analytical Thinking
- Client Orientation
- Effective Interactive Communication – oral and written
- Innovation & Problem Solving
- Multitasking while maintaining attention to detail and accuracy
- Research / Information Seeking
A certification in the field of compensation, such as CCP, and experience with SAP HR are considered assets.
Willingness to complete the Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designation is required.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following: written and/or standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Equivalencies considered include, but are not limited to:
- at least 4 years of previous experience in an analytical field.
- significant direct experience with some facets of compensation management such as job evaluation, salary market analysis, costing compensation plans or implementing pay adjustments.
Based on the employment status and union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
Work within an office environment; some work outside of normal work hours as required.
Occasional travel may be required.
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career
- Engaging workplace: our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in, we have forward-thinking policies and strategies
- Countless career paths
- Department specific flexible working schedules
Pay Grade: EC 11
Salary Range: $3,238.10 - $4,047.67 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Current government employees may access this posting through the link below:
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].