With a legacy that spans over 100 years, Stelco is company that has grown along with Canada and its global partners. We understand that twenty-first century competition demands the highest quality products, period. So, Stelco is bringing together the people, technology, and unmatched market knowledge to, once again, take on that challenge from here at home.
Why Join Us?
- New 5 year Collective Agreement with wage, benefit, pension and bonus enhancements
- Competitive Benefit Wellness Package
- Cost of Living Allowance & Shift Premiums paid out hourly starting Day 1
- Guaranteed wage increases in each year of the collective agreement
- Competitive vacation entitlements and minimum 20% premium paid on vacation hours
- Productivity payment plan and/ or profit sharing plan based on Company performance and key goals
- Company paid Defined Contribution Pension Plan (RRSP) with no employee contribution required.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program available
- All Personal Protective Equipment, tools, and job training provided at no cost
About the role
Stelco has an immediate opening for a Heavy Equipment Mechanic in the Plant Services Department at its Hamilton facility in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Safety is the Core Value of Stelco and the individual will make Safety the #1 priority in the execution of all work activities, including monitoring contractor/vendor safety in support of work efforts.
- Operate equipment to diagnose defects and confirm successful repair.
- Plan, direct, perform, documents the assembly, inspection, repair, lubrication, testing and servicing of all types of mobile equipment in the field, mill or shop as necessary.
- Remain current with new or changed equipment and techniques.
- Prepare and maintain various records and produces clear, concise notes and instructions.
- Interpret and analyze drawings, sketches, schematics, manuals, to repair electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic and mechanical systems.
- Good housekeeping practices at all times, to help maintain safe work areas for yourself and your co-worker.
- Certificate of Qualification 421A Heavy Duty Mechanic and 310T Truck and Coach Technician with relatable experience
- 3-5 years experience and the ability to perform the above.
- 310S Automotive Technician may be considered with extensive relatable experience
- An ODC (Ozone Depletion Certificate) is an asset
Job Skills and Knowledge
- Temperature Tolerance: The ability to withstand extreme temperatures.
- Reaction Time: The ability to quickly respond to process upsets.
- Static Strength: The ability to exert significant muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
- Trunk Strength: The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time, including bending and stooping.
- Dynamic Strength: The ability to exert muscle force at intervals throughout a work shift. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue.
- Agility: The ability to negotiate different areas of the plant, including climbing stairs and ladders, and moving around barriers.
- Manual Dexterity: The ability to quickly move, and react.
- The job is within a heavy industrial environment and you may be required to work within various areas of the facility. Depending on the area you work in, the environmental conditions may be hot, cold, dirty, dusty, wet or noisy.
- Safety is our highest priority, and safety procedures and guidelines must be adhered to at all times. This includes wearing personal protective equipment, such as a hard hats, eye protection, hearing protection, respirators, flame retardant clothing and safety shoes with metatarsal protection at all times during a work shift.
- Employees work in a unionized and highly industrial setting.
- Our Hamilton facility operates 365 days a year 24/7
- Work schedule is day shift 8 hours, Monday to Friday
- May require over time
- Punctuality and attendance are extremely important to the success of the operations in general as well as contributing to an overall positive team environment
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Stelco is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment and selection process. Applicants should advise Human Resources if they require any type of accommodation during the recruitment process.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $90,000.00-$120,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Vision care
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Hamilton, ON L8L 8K5: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- 421A or 310T C of Q (required)
Work Location: In person