We are seeking a Benefits Administrator to join our Union Power team in Halifax.
The Benefits Administrator’s job functions include processing of employer benefit contributions reports and maintaining enrollment data of benefit plan participants as specified by client Collective Bargaining Agreements, contract specifications and the benefit plan summary. He or she ensures contribution reports are verified for accuracy in order to determine benefit plan entitlements for members, identify employer payment irregularities, initiate collection efforts and carry out delinquency procedures.
- Learn and understand the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements and the benefit entitlements as per the benefit plan summary in order to accurately process member and employer information.
- Receives cheques and employer contribution reports on a daily basis ensuring payments accurately match to the reports. Balance and audit the reports by reviewing the hours, rates, calculations and any additional information as required. Allocate to the employer accounts. Close analysis of the employer reporting is required to ensure accuracy.
- Processes a large number of member status changes and updates employer information on a monthly basis. Follows up with employers regarding member status changes (eg. Sick, laid off, terminated).
- Processing the Employer benefit contribution reports and verifying for accuracy in order to determine the benefit plan entitlements for the members.
- Monitor employer account details to identify irregularities and/or any Employer payment irregularities (ie over/under payments). Run the monthly delinquency reports to determine missing Employer contributions. Follow the steps to collect delinquent accounts in a timely manner including telephone calls, emails, and registered letters in accordance with the BPA Delinquency Guide.
- Escalate appropriately to management, accounts that remain as delinquent for further investigation.
- Analyze member status (AMS) to update members’ eligibility for benefits.
- Produces various reports for the Union offices as required.
- Monthly runs queries to move members around to various self-pay categories.
- Assists with the monthly mailouts to the Members and Union offices after the monthly updates.
- Assists with front desk reception during lunch, breaks, vacations and illness.
- Direct funds and initiate appropriate payments for benefit fund expenses and member entitlements.
- On a daily basis interacts directly with the Benefit Plan participants/members, employers and Union offices to answer any inquiries pertaining to the Benefit Plan as required by phone, fax, email, mail or in person.
- Adhere to BPA and Trust Fund privacy policies.
- Involved with review of T4A’s for taxable benefits at year end.
- Participate in other duties and projects, as assigned.
- Exposure to office administration and clerical processes particularly related to data analysis, and account reconciliation.
- Demonstrated mathematical aptitude.
- High School Graduation Diploma, post secondary education preferred.
- Three to five year or more of benefits administration/analyst experience.
- Bilingual an asset.
- Knowledgeable on relevant Collective Agreement and associated benefit plan.
- Knowledge of the BPA Delinquency Guide, and ability to apply guidelines to day-to-day work.
- Strong mathematical and analytical abilities.
- Ability to closely analyze and focus on detailed reporting and investigate discrepancies.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Intermediate MS Excel and Word skills essential.
- Strong communication skills, written and oral.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent work ethic and accountability.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Learn by working alongside our experts
- Extended health care and dental benefits
- A retirement savings plan with company contributions
- A suite of Health & Wellness offerings
- Mental Health programs and support for you and your family
- Competitive compensation
At People Corporation we are committed to helping businesses succeed. We are a national provider of benefits, retirement, wealth, wellness, and human resource solutions. Our experts and solutions serve over 20,000 clients representing nearly 3 million Canadians. We offer customized solutions designed to fit the unique needs of businesses and their employees, members and stakeholders.
About Union Power Insurance Brokers:
Our mission at Union Power Insurance Brokers is to provide professional and trusted insurance advice to members of Canada’s Building Trades Unions. We are committed to bringing our customers the best insurance protection for their assets at the lowest possible price.
Providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and clients feel valued, respected and supported is something we're committed to. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential. If you require an accommodation or an alternative format of any posting please reach out to [email protected]