At AECOM, we offer a better world.
We believe that infrastructure creates opportunities for all. Whether it's improving your morning commute, providing lighting to homes, making clean water accessible, or transforming the urban landscape, our work helps people and communities thrive. Our clients trust us to bring the best people, ideas, technical expertise, and digital solutions to our work in the transportation, building, water, environmental, and new energy sectors. As part of one global team, we are 47,000 strong, working together to achieve the goal of creating a better world.
Join AECOM's dynamic team as a passionate Senior Community Engagement and Communication Specialist and play a pivotal role in achieving outstanding outcomes for our clients. This is an exciting permanent full-time position that offers tremendous opportunities for growth and impact.
As part of our Environment Business Line, within the Impact Assessment and Permitting Group, you will collaborate closely with a team of engineering specialists, professionals, and technical staff. Together, you will drive ambitious plans to enhance our service offerings and make a difference in the communities we serve.
Your key responsibilities will include:
Strategically developing communication and community engagement plans alongside multi-disciplinary teams and project managers to achieve meaningful results for our clients.
Managing project budgets, schedules, resourcing, and records, ensuring exceptional project execution.
Expanding our community engagement and communication client portfolio through the development of compelling project proposals and business development activities.
Taking the lead in organizing public and stakeholder engagement activities, both in-person and virtually, including workshops, advisory committees, community meetings, and open houses.
Crafting and reviewing communication materials such as key messages, FAQs, presentations, notices, storyboards, and discussion guides.
Evaluating the effectiveness of communication and engagement programs and services.
Mentoring and delegating work to intermediate and junior staff to support their growth and development.
As a valued member of our team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to our strategic community engagement and communication practice, leaving a lasting impact on the projects we undertake.
- Bachelor's degree or professional designation preferred (e.g., communication, environmental planning), although proven practical experience is essential.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in a similar role, either in the public or private sectors.
- Demonstrated expertise in professional writing, including plain language, AODA compliance, web content, internal and external communications, with at least 8 years of experience.
- Strong analytical, planning, organizational, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, as this role involves continuous interaction with team leaders, client management, and the public.
- Valid driver's license and access to transportation.
- Flexibility to work flexible hours, including evenings and remotely if required.
- Knowledge of the Canadian regulatory and policy context, Federal and Provincial Impact Assessment processes, including leading practices in communication and engagement, and/or Indigenous engagement and participation.
- Bilingual in English and French would be an asset.
- Experience in government relations, media relations, public relations, stakeholder analysis, and facilitation.
- Familiarity with stakeholder management systems (e.g., Borealis or Staketracker).
- Strong understanding of project coordination/management concepts and processes.
- Membership or accreditation from IAP2, CPRS, IABC, IAF would be an asset.
By meeting these requirements and qualifications, you will bring valuable skills and expertise to our team, contributing to the success of our projects and making a positive impact in the communities we serve. We look forward to receiving your application and exploring the potential of having you on board with us at AECOM.
Sponsorship for Canadian employment authorization is not available for this position.
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $13.1 billion in fiscal year 2022. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Freedom to Grow in a World of Opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.