We’re hiring an Assistant Staff Cook
to join our world class team at Sonora Resort, a luxury all-inclusive Relais & Chateaux Resort, in the unspoiled wilderness of British Columbia. Nestled in the Discovery Islands, Sonora Resort is a remote location accessed by water taxi from the town of Campbell River on Vancouver Island. This is a Seasonal or Full Time Seasonal position that works on site at the Resort in shift work rotations. Seeking a start date of mid-June.
Our team shares a deep appreciation for the unspoiled wilderness of British Columbia. Our opulent location is an undeniable draw for those seeking an exciting career with a side of adventure. We are completely submerged in the great outdoors with easy access to hiking trails, Florence Lake, and opportunities to get on the water to explore the Inside Passage.
Each one of our team members contributes to the guest experience at Sonora Resort. Working at Sonora means you are part of a team of passionate and trained professionals focused on providing our guests with unique experiences and cherished memories.
Sonora Resort is committed to creating an engaging and supportive work environment, with a focus on developing and promoting talent from within. We offer competitive compensation packages, exciting employee incentives and the opportunity to develop under the prestigious Relais & Châteaux banner.
- All staff are provided with complimentary single bedroom accommodations. Complimentary wifi, cable TV and internet calling provided in each staff room.
- Complimentary meals, snacks and beverages provided from our Staff Kitchen
- Shift work is required from April until October; comprised of 10 working days and 4 non-working working days, subject to change during peak season; employees are expected to be flexible in their scheduling to meet the needs of the business.
- Water taxi transportation is provided to and from Campbell River for scheduled work shifts
- Staff are required to leave the resort on their scheduled non-working days and are responsible for securing further transportation and accommodation thereafter.
- Team Amenities on site include a staff lounge, fitness facility, hot tub, outdoor staff lounge area, access to trout ponds, hiking trails and Florence lake where a canoe and stand-up paddleboards are available for staff use.
- Enjoy other great work perks such as:
- 25% off at Sonora’s Gift Shop and Island Currents Spa (Services & products)
- Special room rate for Employees & immediate family members visiting Sonora Resort
- Staff social events and opportunities to experience adventure tours & activities
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program offering counseling and mental health supports.
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- We offer competitive wages, paid hourly, with opportunities for overtime, plus gratuities.
The Assistant Staff Cook is responsible for assisting with cooking and providing 70-90 staff meals a day. When Head Staff cook is away for days off they oversee running the Kitchen and brigade as well as any ordering which needs to be completed.
- Set expectations and hold the team accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviors in accordance with Relais and Chateaux expectations.
- Receive, clean and store all products that arrive from the dock as per the chef’s standards.
- Ensure all daily and weekly cleaning tasks are completed and up to standards.
- Responsible for maintaining their workstations to the chef’s standards.
- Preparing scratch made lunches and dinners daily including vegetarian options and special dietary needs.
- Provide snacks and sandwich bar for staff to eat in between meal times.
- Assist the Head Staff Cook with scheduling of the team, ordering and receiving product.
- Assist in the cleaning/scrubbing of the entire kitchen at the end of the day’s services.
- Ensure effective working relationships and clear communication is maintained with all colleagues and departments.
About Sonora Resort
- Applicant must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Must be fluent in English, second language an asset.
- First Aid certificates are an asset.
- Current Foodsafe Certificate
- Culinary Arts Levels 1,2 or 3
- Red seal is considered an asset
- Three years of cooking experience; experience in a live-in resort is preferred.
Sonora Resort, a Relais & Chateâux property, is located on Sonora Island in the Discovery Islands of British Columbia. It is accessible by boat or air, and 50 minutes by helicopter from Vancouver. Known as one of Canada’s hidden gems, Sonora has a unique place in the world because of its secluded location, abundance of natural beauty and wildlife, with luxury accommodations and gourmet cuisine. Sonora is part of the Relais & Chateâux association of the world’s finest hoteliers, chefs and restaurateurs that has set the standard for excellence in hospitality. Whether you have an adventurous heart or a desire to live in a remarkable wild place such as this, you will find all kinds of career options at Sonora Resort. We encourage you to visit our website at www.sonoraresort.com