Highways and Public Works – who we are
Employees at Highways and Public Works are responsible for ensuring safe and efficient public highways, airstrips, buildings, and information systems. Our collective vision is to make a difference in the lives of Yukoners. At all levels of our organization, we value leadership, innovation, teamwork, and keeping our people safe. Our priorities are to be client focused, to support our people, to build sustainably, and to advance reconciliation throughout Yukon.
We are looking for a carpenter to perform a wide variety of carpentry and related maintenance functions in accordance with established standards so that Yukon government facilities remain operational and safe. You will be required to maintain all required work records in order that appropriate costs per job may be calculated. You will perform a variety of work in order to maintain Yukon government facilities both within Whitehorse and outside the Whitehorse area. Periodic preventative maintenance inspections are required. You will maintain a personal inventory of tools and miscellaneous materials and supplies.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please review this information: Apply on a job | Government of Yukon
Essential Qualifications (what we’re looking for in your resume):
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet each of the following qualifications. Please note, selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume.
- Red Seal journeyperson carpenter’s certificate (to be provided upon request);
- Experience in the carpentry trade repairing, renovating and maintaining buildings;
- Experience with safety practices and procedures in a workplace setting.
If your resume shows education, training, and/or experience equivalent to the essential qualifications listed above, your application may be equally considered.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Experience performing preventative maintenance inspections;
- Strong client service skills;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as in a team setting;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- Experience using Microsoft computer applications (i.e., Word, Outlook).
Conditions of Employment
Obtain and maintain valid RCMP vulnerable sector check clearance; maintain a valid Yukon Class 5 driver’s licence; Red Seal journeyperson carpenter’s certificate
Travel throughout the territory, occasional exposure to dusty conditions and unpleasant fumes; lifting up to 22 kilograms; use of personal protective equipment.
- Learn about a career with Yukon Government Find a career in the Yukon | Recruitment Marketing (yukoncareerpaths.ca)
- Find out what we offer our employees
- See why Yukon government has been identified as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers since 2014
For more information about this position, please refer to attached job description or contact Sandy Koep, Carpentry/Painting Foreperson, at [email protected]
For information about applying on a Highways & Public Works competition, contact Jennifer Collon, HR Consultant, at [email protected]