About the role
The Regional Head of PMO leads the PMO in their region and provides leadership and guidance to the regional PMO team members, enables consistent ways of working across programmes and projects in their region and works to elevate Project Management professionalism and effective project delivery. The role reports into the Group PMO Director and is a member of the Regional Leadership Team. In this role you are responsible for:
- Work collaboratively with the Regional Business Director, Regional Heads of Programmes and Regional Head of Capability to deliver business objectives.
- Contribute to the production of strategy, innovation, sustainability, and other initiatives as required to deliver business objectives.
- Contribute timely and accurate management reporting information relating to the regional project portfolio and use that data to influence business strategy and identify opportunities for more effective and efficient working across the business.
- Ensure parties involved in bid-decision making are equipped with relevant lessons learned and risk information.
- Implement the Group’s policies and standards relating to the management of programmes and project across the region, together with the guidelines, business processes, tools, templates, systems and metrics needed to manage projects in a consistent manner that delivers customer satisfaction whilst meeting the wider needs of the business. Monitor for compliance.
- Work with the PMO’s Head of Project Standards and and regional Project Specialists (where appointed) to establish the regional components of a programme of risk-based review and audit, targeting regional project review activities where they will be most effective and ensuring that the PMO provides an effective secretariat to the Regional Business Director and their Programme staff.
- Work with key stakeholders to apply the framework for Project Management Competency in the region.
- Work with the PMO’s Head of Project Standards and other key stakeholders to deliver project and programme management training and certification as needed to build and sustain a highly competent and qualified cohort of project and programme managers to meet the region’s business needs.
- Ensure the optimum application of the region’s resources to its bids and projects, taking account, as far as is practicable, considerations of availability, cost, customer preference, staff development need, required accreditation and/or qualification.
- Cooperate, as required, with key stakeholders to ensure the fitness for purpose of systems provided for the purposes of resource allocation and management (both people and inventory).
- Provide final authority on resource conflict resolution in the region, in both bids and projects.
- Establish routes for feedback on regional PM and regional project team performance into annual performance reviews.
- Organise the regional PMO to ensure that regional Project Delivery teams have the support they need to deliver projects to time, quality and cost and enable prompt payment.
- Ensure the regional Business Delivery organisation operates to and maintains the highest professional technical and project management standards.
- Manage the regional PMO to support the development of schedules and budgets for bids and projects.
- Ensure a proper baselining of regional projects and monitor regional project portfolio performance, to identify trends and forecasts, and implement corrective actions where required.
- Monitor Project Manager’s management of risks associated with regional Business Delivery and the regional project portfolio.
- Establish the risk, issue and change resolution process, and work with stakeholders to take corrective action as needed, ensuring that all are monitored and closed-out in a timely manner, while protecting BMT’s commercial position and project profitability.
- Embed the PMO’s framework for the management of decisions to work ‘at-risk’.
- Support Commercial Teams in embedding a framework for the management and control of contract change.
- Embed the PMO’s framework for the establishment, control, and management of all request for change to project budget and contingency sum release.
- Work with regional Commercial business partners to ensure a uniformly professional approach to project-related purchasing.
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of project related financial data, project revenue and profit forecasting and project revenue/invoicing and profit realisation for all projects and programmes.
Centre of Excellence
- Promote knowledge sharing across the Delivery organisation, providing coaching and mentoring services as needed.
- Establish strong linkages to the other regional PMO’s to identify and share best practices relating to project and programme management and the provision of tools to enable consistent and repeatable project delivery performance
Management of Regional PMO
- Ensure role clarity for all regional PMO team members
- Ensure regional PMO adherence to BMT operational standards including quality, corporate and financial governance, as laid out in the Operating Standards and Procedures.
- Work with the Head of Project Standards and other key stakeholders to develop and deliver PMO-specific training, providing development opportunities for all within the regional PMO.
- Build a culture within the regional PMO community that models effective behaviour from seniors and celebrates success.
- Act as a focal point for providing clear and consistent messaging and updates about regional PMO activity across BMT.
- Lead and manage the regional PMO elements of input to wider Business Planning (i.a.w. ISBP processes and deliverables).
- Establish and drive a culture of continuous improvement within the regional PMO
- Ensure the entire regional PMO team have the understanding, guidance and resources needed to safeguard health, safety and wellbeing of all members and create a safe environment in which they work.
Hybrid work is available but the selected candidate must work out of one of our BMT Canada offices located in Ottawa, Halifax or Victoria.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and flexible team member, who possess the following knowledge, experience, and skills:
- 10+ years of progressively responsible project management work experience, with significant experience delivering enterprise wide projects and programs
- Strong leadership capabilities
- Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Certification with a professional Project Management body
- Candidates who have experience with an Engineering/Consulting background preferred
- Current Canadian Security Clearance, or the ability to obtain
BMT is a maritime-orientated high-end design house and technical consulting firm driven by a passion for solving complex, real-world problems. To find out more about BMT .
BMT is open and committed to discussing flexible working. We believe that everyone performs at their best when they have the flexibility to make working for BMT work best for them.
BMT hires talented people and welcomes applications from everyone. We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to achieving our purpose as a business which is to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time (to find out more ). Our passion and goal are to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits including group health and dental, a Health Spending Account, RRSP matching, employee discount programs, employee and family assistance programs and learning and development opportunities.
Don’t hesitate to ask more about our benefits during the hiring process.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application via our company Careers page. We look forward to learning more about you.
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.