Requisition ID: 335192
Position Number: 109-81910-C242-99
Competition #: SS-23-474
Posting End Date: Open Until Filled
City: Ste. Anne
Site: Southern Health-Santé Sud
Work Location: Hôpital Ste-Anne Hospital
Department / Unit: Nutrition & Food Services
Job Stream: Non-Clinical
Anticipated Start Date: As Mutually Agreed
Anticipated Shift: Days/Weekends (May consist of a combination of prescheduled and/or short notice call in shifts.)
Daily Hours Worked: 7.75 hour shifts
Salary: As Per CUPE Collective Agreement
Under the direction of the Manager – Nutrition & Food Services, Site Coordinator or Supervisor - Nutrition & Food Services, Manager - Support Services or Designate, the Cook l is responsible for directing and performing the daily preparation, cooking and service of safe, high quality nutritious meals to clients (patients, residents, staff and visitors) of the
facility, following established standards, departmental/regional policies and procedures and, government regulations and legislation.
The incumbent exercises the appropriate level of initiative and independent judgment in determining work priorities, work methods to be employed and action to be taken on unusual matters. The position functions in a manner that is consistent with
the mission, vision and values; and the policies of Southern Health-Santé Sud.
- Proficiency of both official languages is essential (English/French)
- Grade 12 Education or equivalent
- Current Food Handler Training Certificate Level 1 or equivalent Food Sanitation course
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Outlook/Email
- Knowledge of therapeutic and modified food textures
- Knowledge of sanitary food handling principles and procedures
- Minimum one (1) year full time health care food service experience or institutional cooking experience
- Other suitable combinations of education and experience may be considered
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently
- Demonstrated ability for attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to maintain an organized work environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with staff, health care professionals and co-workers, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a positive working relationship with all staff, residents, patients and clients
- Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and written directions
- Demonstrated ability to handle chemicals and cleaning supplies as per defined procedures
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve within the responsibilities of the position
- Demonstrated competency in cash management
- Demonstrated ability to promote safety by practicing principles of body mechanics, electrical, chemical safety Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), thermal safety and accident prevention
- Demonstrated ability to lift items up to 1-5 kg (2.2-11 lbs) constantly, 6-11kg (13.2 – 24 lbs) occasionally and 23 kg (50 lbs) seldomly
- Given the cultural diversity of our region, the ability to respect and promote a culturally diverse population is required
- Demonstrated ability to meet the physical and mental demands of the job
- Demonstrated ability to respect confidentiality including paper, electronic formats and other mediums
- Good work and attendance record
Conditions of Employment:
- Completes and maintains a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Vulnerable Sector Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Child Abuse Registry Check, as appropriate.
- All Health Care workers are required to be immunized as a condition of employment in accordance with Southern Health-Santé Sud policy.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions across the WRHA legal entity that combine to equal more than 1.0 EFT. The WRHA legal entity includes Churchill Health Centre, Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, Pan Am Clinic, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA corporate programs, and WRHA community health services.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment.
Any application received after the closing time will not be included in the competition.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.