Kasteel Construction and Coatings Inc. is a Northern-owned and operated company located in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Our purpose: To serve our team members and our Northern communities with compassion, thoughtfulness, and caring acts while working to deliver superior construction and coating projects. We are dedicated to our clients and employees through our transparent commitment to do things differently. Our directive is to provide every client, employee, and subcontractor with exceptional honesty and fairness. Kasteel prides itself on building strong, long-term relationships which are driven by trust and repeat performance.
Due to our rapidly expanding business, we currently have an opening in Yellowknife for a full-time: Estimator
Job Summary: Our company is looking for an experienced Estimator to prepare estimates, budgets and work with our project managers. We are involved in many small to large-scale projects involving: Residential, Commercial, Insurance, and Industrial clients. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of competitive bidding and the ability to conduct comparative analysis based on a sound assessment of all materials, labor and equipment needed to compile a detailed assembly of costs to ensure client satisfaction as well as company profitably.
In this role, you will:
· Source potential projects by building relationships with stakeholders, and establishing
and maintaining tendering processes, from start to finish.
· Examine tenders thoroughly; reviewing blueprints, schematic drawings, proposals,
specifications, and other documentation to extract details.
· Prepare estimates of costs for the project and add optional pricing for elements not
considered captured in the documentation received. Prepare change order costing
· Review subcontractor quotes and verify the accuracy of details for delivery, supply, and
installation of all components. Adjust costing and scheduling, to include any additional
subcontractor requirements. Assist in sourcing new products/services as required.
· Confer with parties regarding site changes, adjustments to cost estimates, facilitating
change orders and/or credits.
· Evaluate projects for constructability and profitability. Make recommendations and
review final project budgets.
· Visit project work sites, and meet with project managers to clarify the scope of work to
determine requirements for cost estimates and proposals, ensure accurate up-to-date
· Calculate and maintain margins by keeping the Schedule of Values (SOV) up to date, add
change orders, review daily invoicing and staff timesheets to ensure proper coding
· Work with management on annual budgets with monthly variance reviews to lower and
manage overhead costs.
· Flexibility to assist in other areas or departments within the company.
· Local applicants are an asset.
· A combination of education or experience in estimating is required.
· Minimum 3 years experience in commercial and/or industrial construction environment.
· Familiarity with the northern construction industry would be a considerable asset.
· Computer proficient, strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (excel, word,
· Experience with estimating software such as Buildxact, PlanSwift, etc. is required.
· Work effectively under pressure in a busy, multi-task environment while meeting strict
bid submission timelines.
· Excellent communication, problem-solving, and organization skills.
· Motivated and goal-driven individual, who wants to progress with the company.
· Has core values that align with our company.
· Carries themselves in a respectful, thoughtful manner with clients and staff, in a fast-
· Proven team player and comfortable in a dynamic environment.
· Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
Job Safety is #1 - Kasteel is COR certified and we follow a comprehensive safety program to reduce risk and maximize performance. All employees are required to complete orientations to become accustomed to the site safety culture, specific hazards, and detailed safety plans. Commitment to safety compliance must be 100%.
Kasteel believes in treating employees with dignity and respect, we offer a competitive wage plus a benefit plan while allowing you to grow with our company. Please attach your resume and cover letter.
We appreciate all applications, yet due to the number of applications, we are only able to follow up with those candidates who best meet our qualifications.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Yellowknife, NT: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- construction estimating: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person