Position Number: 50020861 /
Department: Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema
Campus: Sir George Williams (Downtown)
Salary: $27.24 - $32.34 per hour
Union/Association/HR Policy: CUSSU
Posting deadline: September 25, 2023
Recognized as Canada’s top university under the age of 50, and one of Montreal’s top Employers, Concordia University is the place to be if you are looking to grow, contribute and innovate in a dynamic and multicultural environment.
Be part of a community that addresses society’s big challenges, supports your personal and professional growth, and makes a real impact in building a more sustainable world.
As a member of our community, you will have access to comprehensive benefits, a defined pension plan and numerous on site well-being facilities such as a state of the art gym and health clinic as well as a variety of educational and cultural opportunities.
Reporting to the Department Administrator, the incumbent provides front line support in the daily operations of the School of Cinema. The incumbent maintains a welcoming professional environment in the Cinema administrative office and provides general administrative support. They provide information and assistance to students (current and potential), staff, faculty, and visitors.
- Welcome all guests to the school by being present at reception during opening hours. Respond to all telephone, in-person and email inquiries received for the School of Cinema. Provide information and assistance to current students, potential applicants to programs, staff and faculty members. Refer inquiries to the appropriate person or department, when necessary.
- Create and prepare correspondence, documents, forms, and reports using appropriate office information systems.
- Triage and distribute school-wide news and events. Maintain and monitor the school’s website and social media. Ensure the department’s bulletin boards are tidy and current.
- Collect and verify applications for in-course awards, TA positions, reserve teaching positions, internships, and independent studies, and follows up with applicants.
- Assist students with registration issues. Respond to, and resolves, all directed inquiries from students to ensure an effective registration process, referring to the Department Assistants as necessary.
- Provide administrative support to various committees. Schedule meetings, prepare agendas and minutes, collect signatures.
- Collect and verify financial documents such as non-employee expense reports and cheque requisitions; follow up with submitters.
- Administer room booking requests.
- Assist with logistics and administration of departmental events, including the annual departmental awards.
- Screen and distribute mail. Assists department members with printing needs, ensure the printer/copier is functional, and liaise with IT Support when necessary. Oversee department’s order and inventory of office supplies.
- Support the Department Administrator and Department Assistants in maintaining the department’s physical and digital filing system in line with Concordia’s records management and archiving guidelines.
- Act as VOIP Coordinator for Cinema.
- Perform other related administrative duties, as requested.
- ACS (Attestation of Collegial Studies) and two to four years of administrative experience in an office environment, preferably within an educational environment.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English and French language skills to manage communications, welcome and assist students and visitors.
- Excellent customer service orientation; experience maintaining welcoming professional office space.
- Good knowledge of technology tools, including good knowledge (intermediate level) of Outlook and Word; basic knowledge of Excel, Teams, Forms.
- Superior organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to work with sensitive matters with tact and diplomacy.
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize with multiple interruptions in a busy, diverse, client-oriented office environment.
- Ability to build relationships with variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and also independently.
- Experience in a university or college environment is an asset.
- Experience and ease in collaborating with creative individuals and individuals from diverse backgrounds is an asset.
- Familiarity with University, Faculty and Department policies, procedures is desirable.
- Knowledge of the Student Information System (SIS), UNITY, Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) is desirable
Due to the volume of applications, only selected candidates will be contacted by our Talent Team.
Concordia University is an English-language institution of higher learning at which the primary language of instruction and research is English. Since this position supports academic and administrative functions of the university, proficiency in English and French, as indicated, is required.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is located on unceded Indigenous lands. The Kanien’kehá:ka Nation is recognized as the custodians of the lands and waters on which we gather today. Tiohtià:ke/Montreal is historically known as a gathering place for many First Nations. Today, it is home to a diverse population of Indigenous and other peoples. We respect the continued connections with the past, present and future in our ongoing relationships with Indigenous and other peoples within the Montreal community.
Concordia University is strongly committed to employment equity within its community, and to recruiting a diverse faculty and staff. The University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, members of sexual minorities, persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversification; candidates are invited to self-identify in their applications. As part of your application, you will be asked to complete a diversity survey. This information is voluntary and any information collected for this purpose is confidential and cannot be accessed by search committees or human resources employees. Results will be aggregated and used to help Concordia achieve its goal to see all members of our community not only reflected, but welcomed, included and supported in their efforts to contribute to all areas of university life.
Concordia desires to increase diversity among its community members and we strive to make our recruitment processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants. If you are contacted for an interview and anticipate needing accommodations during the process, please contact, in confidence, [email protected]
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian and Permanent Residents will be given priority. To comply with the Government of Canada’s reporting requirements, the University is obliged to gather information about applicants’ status as either Permanent Residents of Canada or Canadian citizens.