Maple Leaf Foods is embarking on one of the most exciting journeys in its history through the build and startup of a world-class, leading edge manufacturing facility producing premium, value added fresh poultry products. The new 640,000 square foot facility will call London, ON home and will employ over 1,600 employees as we ramp up operations over the next few years.
We are looking for equally enthusiastic people who want to join our team as we start to climb our own version of Everest. As with every great feat, the realities of this opportunity may come with some challenges and we are looking for people who have the commitment to working through these together. We believe that participation in this start-up requires great passion for our objectives, the flexibility to adapt to the needs of the environment, and a resilient spirit rooted in the desire to achieve winning results as a team. Together we believe we will do great things for our people, our consumers, and our communities.
As a Facilities Maintenance Supervisor, you will report directly to the Chief Engineer.
You will have a B Class Refrigeration license or a 3rd Class Operating Engineers license to assist as needed with the operation and supervision of the ammonia plant and utilities area.
You are responsible for the day-to-day facilities maintenance activities including the supervision and scheduling of staff and contractors to maintain buildings, grounds and facilities. This includes mechanical, electrical and plumbing. You are responsible for overseeing, monitoring, and continuously improving facility preventative maintenance programs.
The Facilities Maintenance Supervisor is an experienced Maintenance leader with at least 5 years of experience in a Maintenance supervisory or leadership role applying proven Maintenance best practices in a fast pace industrial environment. The Supervisor is familiar with using a CMMS/EAM system and with applying Standard Operating Procedures in his/her work. The Supervisor follows company policies, standards and guidelines as they apply to all activities.
The Supervisor has strong leadership and communication skills, works well in a team environment, is responsible and is open to change. The person is results oriented and quality driven.
The Maintenance Supervisor promotes and maintains a safe working environment through compliance with MLF’s Health and Safety Program. This includes Food Safety and Environmental compliance.
Any MLF team member interested in being considered for this role are encouraged to apply online by October 02. Applications received beyond that date are not guaranteed consideration.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
As Facilities Maintenance Supervisor, you will:
- Provide inputs into PM reviews and PM development activities.
- Responsible for assigned activities.
- Provide input to the work prioritization process and manage emergency and break-in work.
- Provide inputs at the daily work request review meeting.
- Provide inputs into the maintenance job plans.
- Provide inputs to the work job scope.
- Provide inputs into changes that affect the asset's BOM and work with stores to optimize part/material levels.
- Own the weekly schedule, once it is published and adjust to accommodate emergency and break-in work.
- Provide technical assistance as required for maintenance personnel in executing the work.
- Work is assigned to work crews based on their competency, rather than on their availability.
- Requirement for corrective work are communicated to Planning in a formal, timely, fashion (work order).
- Review job delay codes and times to identify opportunities to improve workforce performance.
- Ensure that WO are updated in accordance with defined standards.
- Monitor WO completion at least 3 times per shift and provide coaching/support as needed.
- Review completed work orders to ensure that the Trades people record actual time worked on the work order. Compare to time planned and addressed significant variances.
- Conduct a pre-check of tools, equipment, kitted and staged parts, and materials on all planned and scheduled jobs
- Ensure that parts and machine assemblies removed from service are promptly sent for repair/rebuild if required.
- Ensure constant use of housekeeping practices, satisfying all safety requirements, to clean up the work site as part of every job. Workplace safety assessments are used regularly.
- Schedule overtime or contract work as needed and manage contractors, while respecting budgetary limits.
- Verify/ensure accuracy and completeness of work order documentation before sending to Planner and list issues to address.
- Provide technical assistance in analyzing planned and completed work order to improve current and future job plans.
- From completed work orders, identify and address knowledge gaps.
- Responsible for the application of the site's documented RCFA process and results for major sporadic and chronic.
- Oversee the return of spares to the warehouse.
- A B Class Refrigeration License or a 3rd Class Operating Engineers license
- A College or University graduate from an electro-mechanical program or a licensed tradesperson with related experience
- Enrollment or completion of the Maintenance Management Professional (MMP) Certificate Program would be an asset
- Comfortable using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), SAP-PM preferably
- At home in a manufacturing environment and have 3 to 5 years of supervisory experience in a unionized environment; experience in a food processing environment would be an asset.
- Excellent leadership, communication, collaboration with training and development skills
- The ability to lead large groups of industrial maintenance technicians with different background skills
- Experience in developing and incorporating Predictive, Preventative and Proactive maintenance requirements for equipment asset systems within an industrial maintenance environment
- The ability to apply procedures and best practices to be implemented in a CMMS Reliability Maintenance Program
- Technically proficient with MRO Inventory stores, industrial electricity, PLC, Motor Controls, Pneumatics and Mechanical apertures
- Familiar with Condition Based Monitoring equipment and field devices
- Knowledge of OHSA Safety practices, standards and regulations
- Familiar with the concept of world class maintenance and best practices
- Aware of Six Sigma, RCM and autonomous maintenance principles
- Recognized for your ability to troubleshoot and demonstrated organizational skills
- Knowledge of ammonia-based plant refrigeration systems and their operation
- Able to manage maintenance and maintenance resources effectively through the use of key performance indicators and benchmarking; and
- Proven record for identifying reliability issues and participation implementing improvement strategies.
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at [email protected].
Disclaimer: Please note that salaries posted on sites other than the MLF Careers Page are not a reflection of Maple Leaf Foods and are an estimated salary range provided by that particular job board. Maple Leaf Foods offers competitive wages and an attractive total rewards package, which will be discussed during an interview with our Talent Team.