The Tenant Services Coordinator is responsible for the day to day delivery of tenant related property management functions including lease administration, rental of units, income verification and rent gearedto income calculations for the County’s owned social housing projects, in accordance with the policies of the County and applicable legislation and standards.
1. Responsible to ensure terms and conditions of the rental lease by signing the lease agreement with the tenant after explaining the requirement of both parties.
2. Responsible to verify tenant eligibility and income to accuratelycalculate rent geared to income amount payable and authorize rent increases and decreases.
3. Ensure timely collection of all tenant receivables including current rent, and maintenance charges; process former tenant accounts and refer as necessary to third party collections.
4. Complete all required legal forms for the Landlord Tenant Board such as notices to vacant, illegal acts and attend eviction with sheriff as required.
5. Represent the County atLandlord Tenant Board.
6. To represent and provide the landlords legal arguments to the Landlord Tenant Board by providing documentation, witnesses and cross examination of evidence.
7. Enter into mediation on behalf of the landlord to prevent evictions where appropriate in accordance with the Housing Corporations eviction prevention policy
8. Responsible to fill vacant units in a timely manner to limit vacancy loss in accordance with coordinated access policies and procedures.
9. Deliver and monitor the Rent Supplement Program, including liaising with property owners agents and tenants, prepare agreements and negotiate contract renewals.
10. Conduct leasing interviewsand resolve tenancy issues for residents in family, adult and seniors housing.
11. Prepare reports and recommendations to Public Housing Manager regarding Proposed Policy to the Simcoe County Housing Corporation for all related reports regarding Tenant Placement and Property Management.
12. Arrange unit viewings for perspective tenants and show units as required. Explain rent geared to income program.
13. Conduct unit housekeeping inspections as required and safety inspections of properties. Advise maintenance department of deficiencies and tenant concerns.
14. Assist with afterhours emergency responses when necessary.
15. Meet with tenants that are experiencing difficulties and provide support and advice to resolve problems and conflicts that may be related to budgeting, interpersonal disputes, housekeeping, eviction prevention, health and safety, etc.
16. Work cohesively with the Tenant Navigator, referring tenants with complex issues to them for case management in an effort to keep them housed.
17. Make referrals to tenants on communityagencies\organizations, where appropriate.
18. Develop and maintain effective relationships with clients, the public, housing providers, local politicians, shelters, management, staff and others.
19. Update computersystems as required.
20. Prepare and present reports as required.
21. Participate in annual unit inspections and work with Maintenance and tenants to ensure follow-up.
22. Participate in committees and attend meetings as required.
23. Comply with provincial and County occupational health and safety legislation, regulations, policies and procedures.
24. Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Municipal Freedom ofInformation and Protection of Privacy Act.
25. Perform other duties as assigned.
Has knowledge of and demonstrated ability in our corporate competencies:
- Acts with the Customer in Mind
- Continuously Seeks to Improve Work Processes
- Completion of a two (2) year community college diploma in Social Sciences or Business Administration or equivalent.
- Strong knowledge of property management obtained through the Institute of Housing Management Accreditation program, Certified Property Manager program or related field or equivalent experience.
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good communication, planning, analytical and organizational skills.
- Strongtime management and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to exercise discretion & maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of SAP, word-processing, YARDI system and spreadsheet application skills.
- ValidG Class Driver’s License and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Criminal reference check with vulnerable sector clearance.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in progressively responsible,related positions, including one (1) year as a Tenant Services Coordinator or similar position in property management.
- Mental effort required when completing calculations and forms, when participating in mediations and tribunals.
- Some disagreeable working conditions can be experienced when dealing with some move outs and inspections.