Result of Service
- Provide support during pre-session preparation.
- Preparation/proofreading/checking translations of documents for the 93rd meeting of the Executive Committee in five languages, prepare draft letters and send word count lists to translators at the end of their assignment.
- Complete the work assigned fully respecting stringent deadlines and with excellence.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The Multilateral Fund for the Implementation of the Montreal Protocol (MLF) is dedicated to reversing the deterioration of the Earth's stratospheric ozone layer and reducing consumption of high global warming hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs). It was established in 1991 as the financial mechanism of the Montreal Protocol to assist developing countries (Article 5 countries in the language of the Protocol) in complying with their obligations under the Montreal Protocol. The MLF is managed by the Executive Committee, which is assisted by the Fund Secretariat, located in Montreal, Canada and administered by UNEP (www.multilateralfund.org). This post is located in UNEP/MLF at the Montreal duty station.
Under the direct supervision of the Information Management Officer, the Individual Contractor (IC) will perform the following tasks:
1. Assess the workload and complexity of various translation projects and assign them to appropriate translators based on their expertise, language proficiency, and availability.
2. Set deadlines for each translation task, considering the volume of work and the translator's workload, while also accounting for potential revisions and proofreading.
3. Assist in reviewing and proofreading translated pre-session documents and the report of the meeting (against the English version),
4. Entering changes in documents translated into French and Spanish as per compares provided.
5. Consolidating/formatting documents in French, Spanish and Chinese, as required.
6. Assisting in formatting/checking documents in Arabic and Russian, as required.
7. Running compares for documents and annexes.
8. Formatting draft letters to governments.
9. Preparing enclosures to letters to governments.
10. Sending word count lists to translators at the end of their assignment.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Computer literacy with good knowledge of word processing, and spreadsheet applications is required.
College diploma in translation and certificate courses in languages desirable.
A minimum of five years of experience in meeting services, administration, programme support or related area is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to three for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
Experience in servicing meetings including coordination of documents flow in various languages is required.
Experience in typing and drafting documents is required.
Experience in gathering and analyzing data is required.
Experience working in an international organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this IC contract, fluency in written and oral English is required; and knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
This position is temporarily available for a period of two months and is subject to local recruitment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.