Crisis Analyst: North America (Existing BC, AB, SK, MB, and NWT Residents Only)
We’re looking for dedicated and passionate team members based in Canada to join our Real-Time Coverage (RTC) team! As a Crisis Analyst, you will be the human in the loop to support our AI-first approach to alerts by gathering, corroborating, and curating social media chatter.
Who we are
Samdesk is a global disruption monitoring tool that delivers real-time crisis alerts 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, powered by AI. We make sense of the world’s most valuable real-time data sources with the purpose to create a safer world. In 2021, Samdesk closed a $13.5M Series A and is proudly headquartered in Alberta, Canada with team members located all over the world. We are a growing team of dreamers and builders, passionate about building great products and services.
- Please note that this is a remote, full-time role, with days covering weekdays, weekends, and public holidays.
- Only candidates already based in the Canadian Provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, or the Northwest Territories will be considered for this role.
Check us out! www.samdesk.io
About the role
This is a demanding yet rewarding role providing critical live coverage of events occurring across the globe as part of our worldwide team.
The Samdesk platform is an AI tool that is not only the first to break the news but also provides the information and context needed by today's Fortune 500 organizations in their growing business continuity needs. The alert you send to a client about an active shooter threat at a shopping mall may prompt them to advise nearby customers and employees to seek shelter, lockdown stores and reroute deliveries away from the area. As such, clients trust us to provide them with up to date and accurate information in a timely manner.
Samdesk alerts vary greatly and range from disruptive weather and power outages, to bomb threats and active shooters.
Who we’re looking for
You are an engaged and enthusiastic individual who is eager to deliver samdesk’s high standard of direct client alerts.
- You are interested in breaking news and current affairs and understand the value of social media newsgathering, fact-finding and verification.
- You are a skilled multi-tasker who is able to track several active incidents at once and work in a busy breaking news environment.
- You take responsibility for maintaining attention to detail while working quickly.
- You are self-motivated and confident working independently and remotely as part of a diverse, globally distributed team.
- Samdesk can provide a life saving solution to our customers, so remaining calm and collected whilst making rapid decisions is critical to this role.
- You have enthusiasm for all your projects and a willingness to be flexible and adapt to get the job done.
- You have an interest in geopolitical issues and how they may impact businesses, people and governments.
- You have the legal right to work full-time hours in Canada.
What you’ll do
You’ll be responsible for the quality of our data output (alerts, content, information), and ensuring that what customers see is timely and relevant.
- You’ll help us to understand which events are of higher impact and relevance to our customers, and use your experience and judgment to prioritize.
- You’ll be responsible for collecting information in real time, verifying it, and building out the breadth and depth of our clients’ understanding of events, applying samdesk’s approaches and principles.
- You’ll be comfortable putting our clients’ information needs first during a crisis.
- You’ll contribute to shared resources to improve our content and information discovery processes and foster collaboration on the team.
- You’ll inform the rest of the team, in real time, on what’s happening, what they can expect, and how our customers might be impacted by it.
During an average hour, you may have 70 new events per hour coming through the system to evaluate and make a decision on. At peak times, this can rise to 100 events per hour. At peak times, you may only have 10 seconds to make a decision on each event - do our clients need to react to this?
To help you succeed, we provide a supportive team, the right tools, training and a variety of resources to help guide you.
Although this is a remote role, you’ll work closely with coworkers across the world as part of the wider RTC team to support each other Whilst on shift you will connect with other analysts in real time via an audio call to promote fluid communication and ensure events are monitored and enhanced in real time.
For an idea of what a typical day for one of our Crisis Analysts looks like, click here or use this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19QEjfUQVIe4WWZScG5ObqShQtg_D5BCkd9CfRX6LBZM.
We're looking for someone with:
A relevant degree (political science, international relations, journalism etc) or demonstrated experience in preparing real-time reports or analysis for crisis management or in a newsroom environment
- Security Operations Center analyst, intelligence analyst, emergency dispatcher, breaking news/OSINT reporter etc
- Permanent residence in Saskatchewan, Alberta, or British Columbia, or the Northwest Territories
Bonus points if you have:
Worked in the corporate security or intelligence industries
- Worked in a newsroom or OSINT environment
- Fluency in other languages
CAD 60,000 - 65,000 per annum
Working hours and flexibility
The nature of this role means we need to ensure continuous coverage of urgent emergencies. As such, this role requires you to be “plugged-in” and working on our dashboard during your shift. To ensure continuous coverage, analysts must communicate with one another anytime they want to step away from their workstations. Lunch schedules and shift times are also agreed in advance to ensure appropriate cover is maintained.
This doesn’t mean we can't offer flexibility. Provided there is good communication and adequate coverage, analysts are free to plan meetings and work on projects as required, by coordinating these into an advance schedule. We also provide time at the start of your shift for admin tasks like catching up on emails and maintaining situational awareness of current affairs.
You must be available to cover weekend shifts and public holidays, however these are always rostered in advance at 40 hours per week, and you will be owed time off in lieu for any public holiday cover. Further information about the shift pattern can be discussed at the interview stage.
What’s in it for you?
Work with a committed and passionate team of innovators at a fast-growing startup
- We view this role as a career building opportunity as you’ll work with cross functional teams and the world’s most notable brands, selling a life-saving solution
- Competitive benefits package
- Opportunity to participate in our employee stock option plan
- A seat on the rocket ship - buckle up!
You must include a cover letter in your application:
Applicants who do not submit a cover letter will not be considered. Tell us about you and why we should select you to interview for this role.
Diversity and Inclusion
samdesk is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a safe, diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds including ethnicity, religion, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, family status, age, nationality, and education levels to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know.
First Peoples Acknowledgement
samdesk respectfully acknowledges that, being headquartered in Edmonton, we are situated on Treaty 6 and Region 4 territory, traditional lands of First Nations and Métis people respectively.
We respect the histories, languages, and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and all other First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.
The city of Edmonton owes its strength and vibrancy to these lands, the diverse Indigenous peoples whose ancestors’ footsteps have marked this region, and the settlers from around the world who continue to be welcomed here and call Edmonton home.