Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 15,000 credit students choose from 13 bachelor degrees and 38 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut'ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is "Mohkinstsis," which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
Marketing and Communications integrates expertise, efforts and experience to help Mount Royal University meet its institutional goals. Marketing and Communications also collaborates with resources on and off campus to provide the best possible support to foster Mount Royal’s reputation and image as a premier Canadian undergraduate institution. This is accomplished by developing and implementing strategies to support the advancement of Mount Royal’s institutional priorities, assisting with increasing the institution's profile and reputation, and acting as an integral resource within the campus community. This team of creative professionals provides service excellence by focusing on partnership, mutual goals, adapting to evolving need, and telling Mount Royal’s story.
The Marketing and Communications Strategist is an integral member of the University Marketing and Communications team. You will be the first point of contact to a number of faculties and departments, and will have the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging, interesting and satisfying projects at the department and institutional level.
In the role of MarCom Strategist, you will:
- build strong relationships and support a range of clients across campus,
- provide strategic business analysis, project management and marketing strategy, and
- support the promotion of programs, services and events to enhance the student experience and build MRU’s brand and reputation.
This is a hands-on position. From stakeholder engagement, to supporting events, to the creation of timely email campaigns, you will use your understanding of traditional and digital marketing to get results.
If all of this sounds like the kind of work you’d love to do we can’t wait to meet you.
This position is a full-time, replacement term role working 35 hours per week with an end date of 07/31/2024.
- Advance the priorities of Mount Royal University through smart, practical and budget-sensible marketing and communications activities
- Regularly act as project and marketing lead roles, which includes managing project timelines, building functional teams, developing and maintaining budgets and seeing projects through to completion and final reporting
- Play an active role in identifying and capitalizing on marketing opportunities for client departments and the University
- Create strategies to meet the goals of projects, using the most appropriate channels, in collaboration with members of the marketing and communications team
- Proofread content based on different styles and communications channels
- Degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or related field in combination with a minimum of five years’ relevant experience
- Expertise in the areas of relationship building, project management and marketing strategy
- Comfortable providing advice and services to clients and sharing your knowledge of the vast array of marketing and communications strategies to achieve successful outcomes
- Experience marketing in a business-to-consumer field, or agency setting is an asset
- Creative, versatile, and entrepreneurial individual with exceptional communication, customer service and critical thinking skills
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, climbing, aquatics, sports and certifications for students, employees and the public.
MRU supports full immunization as the best way to protect yourself and our campus community and strongly recommends vaccination against COVID-19.
Position Class: SPB07 Public Relations Assistant VII
Salary: $38.35 - $48.53 per hour
Closing Date: June 19, 2023
A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Last Name], [Requisition Number], [Document Title].pdf (ex. Smith, 999999, CV.pdf).
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Recent Mount Royal graduates who are foreign nationals may be eligible to work on campus. Please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website under Post-Graduation Employment at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp.