Why become an Fogler, Rubinoff ("FR") team member?
At FR, one of our fundamental objectives is to keep our employees and their families healthy—physically, emotionally, and financially. To ensure the health and wellness of all our team members, we offer our Law Clerk, Staff and Support team members a comprehensive benefits package which includes extended health, dental, "flex" health care spending, disability insurance, a robust Employee and Family Assistance Program, an annual fitness allowance and an RRSP matching program.
All our team members enjoy flexible working schedules, and most positions are eligible to participate in our hybrid workplace structure, attending to the office 2-3 days per week. Our team members also receive a generous Time Away from Work package, including flexible paid Personal Time Off, Volunteer time, paid Birthday, Moving Day, and more.
We believe in recognizing and rewarding our team members through our Milestone Anniversary Bonus program and our monthly acknowledgement of service excellence through our peer-to-peer "FRecognition" program. All team members enjoy complimentary on-site breakfast and snacks twice a week, and are invited to attend our annual events such as our Summer Gathering, Staff Appreciation Week, and our Holiday party.
We support continued professional development and encourage professional and personal growth through our "FR Academy", a learning management system offering a variety of online educational modules that cater to enhancing our internal training and learning culture.
File Opening and Conflicts Clerk Job Description:
Our firm has an immediate opening for a File Opening & Conflicts Clerk. The ideal candidate will have experience in a similar role, or a comparable background and an eagerness to learn.
The File Opening and Conflicts Clerk's ("the Clerk") primary responsibility will be to perform conflict searches and file openings for new matters and/or clients in a timely and accurate manner. The Clerk will be responsible for preparing reports and performing a preliminary analysis on the database findings to assist lawyers in determining if new clients can be represented without causing ethical or business conflicts of interest with current clientele.
It will be expected that the Clerk maintains the database and performs regular audits for accuracy and completion. The Clerk should look for efficiencies and make recommendations to continually improve the effectiveness of the file opening and conflict search processes and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor mailbox for new conflict searches and file openings requests for new clients and matters;
- Review the conflicts screening & file opening data that has been entered into the accounting software, ensuring all required information entered is complete and accurate - follow-up with appropriate Legal Assistant/Lawyer as needed;
- Maintain the Know Your Client ("KYC") records for clients and matters that have been verified in accordance with Law Society of Ontario rules;
- Open pending matters and execute conflict searches in Aderant;
- Generate various reports and analyze the data;
- Complete the file opening process in Aderant in accordance with the File Opening Manual procedures;
- Maintain all procedures related to file opening and conflicts to ensure compliance with Rules of Professional Conduct, federal money laundering regulations, firm policies, and KYC requirements;
- Assist as required with respect to the establishment of an ethical walls and confidentiality screens;
- Ensure accuracy and completeness in client/matter records and continually update and maintain information in Aderant;
- Assist Records Department with closing files, coordination of file delivery and retrieval, records destruction, and culling physical documents that exist electronically; and
- Address general inquiries and other duties as assigned.
- Strong internal and external client service skills to build and maintain relationships;
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, high-volume environment;
- Strong accuracy with numbers, fast paced data entry while maintaining efficiency;
- Communication skills (written and verbal) and focused listening are required to communicate with a number of various contacts at all levels;
- Strong team player with the ability to take initiative;
- Good judgement and a high degree of professionalism.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft office (Word, Excel, and Outlook);
- Intermediate knowledge of legal accounting software (Aderant preferred), ethical wall software, document management systems (NetDocuments, etc.), and other legal software (SSRS to generate reports).
- Intermediate legal knowledge related to business intake, conflict searches, records management, and security walls;
- College diploma or university degree in a business discipline, including some accounting and finance courses; and
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in a law firm setting.
Want to join our FR team?
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed resume in confidence. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Fogler, Rubinoff LLP is an equal opportunity employer, committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Fogler, Rubinoff LLP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Type: Full-time
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Law Firm: 3 years (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Toronto, ON M5K 2A1