Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Assistant Superintendent Locomotive Maintenance you will monitor facility plans and performance trends, to provide leadership and direction for the maintenance and servicing of CPKC’s local and system locomotive fleet to support the Operating Plan. Ensure activities are performed safely, within budgets and in strict compliance with regulatory and maintenance standards consistent with expectations of the business.
- Safe and effective operation of the Alyth locomotive facility
- Lead and manage activities to ensure various performance targets for cycle-time, servicing availability are met
- Ensure all servicing, repairs, and planned program works across all locomotive fleets are in compliance with CPKC’s standards, AAR standards, and Transport Canada/Federal Railroad Administration regulations to ensure a safe and reliable product is sustainably and reliably delivered for the Operations
- Ensure GE and EMD Tech support group is working cooperatively and effectively with Locomotive Maintenance facility management and staff to provide on-time, quality shop releases
- Accountable for meeting annual Locomotive Maintenance expense budget
- Ensure compliance with Health, Safety, Security and Environment policy and standards
- Ensure all safety/rules failures are investigated complete with recommendations of discipline and/or corrective action plans
- Accountable for performance objective setting and outputs for direct reports; • Accountable for the career development and succession planning for employees
- Implement process improvement recommendations to improve productivity and effectiveness
- Ensure supervisors conduct all activities consistent with the collective agreement
- Accountable to direct tactical support to the day to day operations through local locomotive dispatch planning functions
- High School Diploma University degree is preferred
- Must possess a minimum of 10 years of railway maintenance experience or strong heavy industry maintenance based knowledge
- Proven capabilities in driving and implementing cultural change
- Ability to provide pinpointed positive and constructive feedback and apply balanced consequences
- Strong problem solving/resolution skills
- Capable of evaluating risks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Locomotive equipment or similar heavy duty machinery knowledge
- Experience in a unionized environment would be considered an asset
WHAT CPKC HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
Operating safely is a core foundation of CPKC. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CPKC’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety critical position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol, and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required. This includes candidates participating in the Trainee Program who will also be required to pass a drug test during the training process before receiving final qualification for the position.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CPKC. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CPKC is an employment equity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities. Accommodations for the job application process can be provided, as appropriate, upon request. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)”.
- Req ID: 101395
- Department: Mechanical Loco
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary , Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 10-20%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Grade: 3
- Job Available to: Internal & External